Do you think people use the Bible as a tool to take away human rights of others?

They totally do! They basically take a HISTORICAL TEXT and use that text as the word of God to use it against people to take away their human rights. They used it against the Jews, they used it against slaves and now they're using it against homosexuals. See a pattern here? God didn't put his word in the bible, Christians took the word of the bible as a translation of God and used it as a tool to push their own agenda. You can take any text out of the bible and use it against anyone and claim it's what God wanted. Did you know that along with Homosexuality being an abombination that eating shrimp was an abomination as well? Should we kill everyone who eats shrimp as well as those who are homosexual? You can't always take what the Bible says literally. You just can't.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 12:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think some Christians on here are being a bit dramatic saying she is grouping all Christians together. I didn't get that message in her post. Anyone who's been on here long enough should know that Imogine is aware that not ALL Christians are the same. I think some on here are using that as an excuse to avoid the post.

Anyhow, i think this is a great question. And yes, that is exactly what SOME Christians do. They back up very argument they have with the bible feel that THEIR beliefs over power others rights. It's ridiculous.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• some, but not all.
    yes
    yes
    no

im a liberal Christian who doesnt take the Bible literally...there are many like me. i have never used the Bible against anyone or used it to take away their rights. we arent all like that...just so you know. i have no problem w/ SSM or homosexuality...or shrimp. mmm shrimp.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No, I think some people do that, and they give Christianity a bad name. I am a Christian, meaning I try hard to follow Christ's teachings, including do unto to others as you would have them do unto you.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• SOME of them do. I'm a Christian and I support gay rights.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The verses are open to interpretation. I follow Jesus. I am a Christian. Some people claim to be Christian but really are filled with hate. Don't judge every Christian by those people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes. Like gay marriage. Just because the bible says its a no no they think its okay that gay people dont get the same marriage rights as straight. Because its a sin. blah blah. ALL people should be created equal. Screw the bible. It shuld not say who and whocant be treated as an equal.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not all Christians do that, FYI. I don't take a lot of that stuff so literally. I do take what Jesus said seriously, and a lot of what you listed, Jesus didn't say, that we know of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• "Sorry but they are Christians. I can't help it if some of your fellow Christians have their heads shoved too far up their behinds."

Christians by definition are followers of Christ's teaching. Christ taught his followers to love one another. Someone can call themselves a Christian without even understanding what that means. So don't group me with people who have so much hatred in their hearts. That is like saying all Muslims are Osama Bin Laden. Do not stereotype.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• not all christians however there are individuals and groups that do, but every group has it's issues..

And the group you mean are WBC (Westboro Baptist Church).. someone forgot to tell those idiots about matthews 22:36-40 (okay, so I"m not a christian, I"m athiest, however I'm not ignorant about the faith, and even I know how sacreligious it is to become so hateful against a group, in this case homosexuals, when your head honcho preaches to "love thy neighbor" as one of it's golden rules).

op I have some great reads about how homosexual is a COMPLETE mistranslation from the original text if you would let them feel free to PM me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

unfortunately, they are Christians. they think what they are doing is right. its disgusting and a far cry from how a Christian should act & what we should hold in our hearts (love not hate). and thats why i do my best to distance myself from them & their beliefs. thats why i post saying i dont believe that way.

and just like you cant help that some Christians are jerks...i cant help that whatever belief system you fall under has jerks. sadly, there are a lot of douche-bags in this world no matter where you look. America just happens to have more Christian ones than non-Christian ones.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011