Amber Necklace and Teething

I've heard that Amber Necklaces will help with teething pain. Can anyone explain why?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 12:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really have no clue but i wouldnt put a necklace on my baby at all.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• http://www.amberartisans.com/amtebeprco.html
    Apparently it has healing oils in it that absorb int he skin & help relieve pain.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't trust that. I think that there are better things to try instead of letting them chew on something that could be a choking hazard and has no actual proof that it works.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 12:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Amber has been used for pain relief for centuries. It is believed to absorb into the skin. My oldest used one. He was waking up about 3-5 times at night screaming because of his molars. As soon as he started wearing one, he stopped waking up at night. Now he has all his teeth and the necklace helps keep him calm. He loves it and will run away if I try to take it off of him. All the beads are indiviudally knotted so if any pressure is applied the necklace will break.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Grungalax: you don't actually CHEW on the necklace. There's something in the amber that helps with teething pain, but I'm not sure what it is...

GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Just because they aren't for chewing does not mean babies will keep them out of their mouths.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 12:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't doubt that it could work but I wouldn't put a necklace on my baby either.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've never heard of that but i wouldn't put a necklace around my child.
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We use an amber teething necklace on our daughter, however we NEVER leave her unattended with it on... she has never put it in her mouth nor has she been in danger from the necklace. As long as you are responsible about it there aren't any issues. As a previous poster said, each bead is individually tied on so that if it breaks the beads do not fall off like they would on a regular necklace. Last week we had to have ours restrung because it broke... Elah was in obvious pain from teething for the couple of days she wasn't wearing it... got it back yesterday and after about 4 hours of having it on she was back to her normal, happy, pain-free self. I am a believer in the natural pain relief from amber!
    jsemassey2010

Answer by jsemassey2010 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2011