Does your 2 yr old fight nail clipping time?

Everytime i have to clip my son's nails or toe nails its a HUGE fight! I usually end up frustrated and he ends up in tears. I have to wait til his dad is home to even try to do it too. I have tried talking to him, distracting him, bribing him, letting him "clip" his own nails, clipping my nails in front of him first and nothing helps. I don't hurt him when i clip them so I have no clue why he flips out! How can I help ease this time that has to happen atleast once a week?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are 3 and 4, and it's still a fight with my 3 year old. Try doing it when he's sleeping.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Have you tried just filing them down?
    cassncalise05

Answer by cassncalise05 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• he is a very light sleeper and yes i've tried filing but he jerks aways and screams and crys still :/
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's a big fight here too. I have to wait until Daddy is home so he can hold him.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• With my DS I just gave him my purse and one hand to use to go through my purse, then we switched hands. That doesn't work with my DD. Nothing works with her and she is also a light sleeper so doing it then is not going to happen. The only thing I can tell you is to hold her down and do it, she'll get over it eventually. I do like 2 nails each day, so I am cutting her nails all the time it seems but really just a few at a time. This has helped a bit, she doesnt get as upset with me as she used to but soon as she starts to really get made, like on nail number 2 or 3 I just stop doing it. You have to pick your battles, and really this is not that important. They want to have some say in what happens to them, so give it to her. She may have long nails and accidently scratch herself sometimes but hey.. it wont kill her.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 1:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• yep my twins have gone through that phase. up until they were like 15 months old it was easy and they didnt mind. then for some unknown reason around 16 or so months tyler decided he wasn't going to have this nails clipped ever. that went on for a few months and now he doesnt' care. now taden hates it! its been a short phase for us, and i hope we dont revisit it soon haha
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yeah I think its something they all hate, my daughter is almost 4 and only just now is ok with it, I would try filing them also if you cant do it when he is sleeping.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• my son will let my mom clip his nails, but if i try it is a huge struggle, so maybe another family member would be able to have less of a struggle. good luck and i feel your pain.
    didra

Answer by didra at 2:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Give him a toy to distract him. or talk him through what you are doing.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I usually let my son watch tv while I do it. He gets distracted enough by Mickey Mouse that he doesn't care what I'm doing.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011