Why do babies need an exercise routine now?

I read in the paper that it was like the british medical journal recommending that non walking infants need exercise,which ok sounds logical enough but all I can think about is that I've rarely seen a child over four months just lay there and do nothing hence according to said study if they are playing they are exercising.

Maybe I just haven't seen enough babies and toddlers in my lifetime or maybe I'm just thinking of my son who we have a harder time getting to stop moving then start. What babies let alone toddlers need to be helped and encouraged to play instead of just laying there doing nothing?
I also still have a hard time believing that being a chubby or even fat baby means that much for your adult life speaking as the baby who's ankles were too skinny to walk properly with my fat rest of me(yes I was breastfed until age 2 actually and about 90% of the kids I know that are BFed are kind of fat babies so it seems really natural to me) and am now at a very healthy BMI and have been since age 4 with NO work.
When did baby fat become bad and why? I'm really interested in the answer.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would not even worry....
    serenityspeaks

Answer by serenityspeaks at 1:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I do NOT believe that infants need exercise, but it is unhealthy to be a fat infant.
    As I understand it, infants have un-specific cells, which will turn into either muscle cells or fat cells. If he is active, they turn into muscle cells. If he is not, then they turn into fat cells - EVEN IF HE IS A SKINNY BABY! So "fat" people actually have more fat cells in their bodies than strong, thin people, and if they just look at chocolate their fat cells swell up. And when they lose weight, it will always come back easily if they don't work at it constantly. If they exercise, they will make their fewer muscle cells stronger, but fat cells never turn into muscle cells.
    Infants move around enough, generally, that I don't believe we need to establish exercise routines for them. However, I HATE seeing infants carried around on those plastic baby carriers. It flattens their heads, and keeps them from being held - maybe it causes autism?
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm not an expert, but I thought babies couldn't regulate their temps right? So wouldn't we need chubby babies? lol
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• other then tummy time, what kind of exercise can an infant do anyway??
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have 5 kids (oldest is 11, youngest turns 1 tomorrow) and I can't imagine why a baby would need an exercise routine. They have all gotten as much exercise as they want. Before they are mobile they mostly just sleep. That's what babies do--eat and sleep while they grow. Once they get mobile the get as much exercise as they need. You know that because when they are done moving around they basically pass out, lol.
    My youngest is constantly on the move. He's always playing with something. He's been rolling since he was 3 months and was always on the floor so he could practice and move around.
    Maybe they are talking about the babies that are always held and toted around in those slings. I've known babies that spend 90% of their time being held or bundled up so they don't actually do anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011