Correct Spelling

My DH's ex wife named their daughter. Her name is Sidney. If you look the name up it says that Sidney is the male spelling and Sydney is the female spelling.
Sidney wants to change the spelling of her name on her birth certificate. What would you do?

joshuamom5909

Asked by joshuamom5909 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Baby Names

• Who told her it was wrong? How old is she?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the spelling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Nothing. If she wants to change it badly enough she can do it as an adult.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• How old is the child? If she wants to change the spelling of her name, let her. But I have met several female Sidneys already, so apparently their moms didn't get the memo either. Personally, I wouldn't name anyone, girl or boy, Sidney, but to each his own... .

My little sister was named Leannore. People were always mispronouncing it, so she spells it Lennore. She didn't have it officially changed, though, she just spells it that way. Some schools insist on using the name as it appears on the birth certificate. Some schools let kids use whatever name/nickname they want.

Is there a cost involved? Or just time consuming? How does the ex feel about it? Who has custody of the child? All these questions should be considered. The mom is the one who named her, and the mom has more say in how the name should be spelled, or changed. The child should discuss this with her mom, unless they are not on speaking terms.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Some names are unisex names. Don't rely on a website to tell you what is "right and wrong" Many famous people have unisex names or nicknames and even misspelled names that actually made them unique. For instance, Oprah's name was supposed to be spelled Orpah in reference to the bible. I personally don't see a big difference in either spelling. I don't think most people even know that there's a difference.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• She is 8, and no one told her it was wrong. She told me that girls spell their name with the "y" and boys with the "i". She says that she wants to spell it Sydney, but she doesn't want to hurt her mom's feelings.
    joshuamom5909

Comment by joshuamom5909 (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Let her spell it the way she wants on her school papers, when signing her name etc. It won't hurt anything and doesn't cost anything.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Nothing she can do without both parents permission other than wait until she is 18.

Answer by gemgem at 9:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Shes too young to make that decision.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 9:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• who has custody ?
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• it honestly drives me crazy when a non-biological parent feels the need to do something for a child when it might be stepping on a parents' toes....you still have to realize that her mom is in the picture....you can't do anything except encourage her to speak with her mom about it....I know your heart is in the right place, but if you suggest anything other than her speaking with her mother and standing by her mom's decision until she's 18, you will make matters a whole lot worse.....for her and especially for her dad....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011