There are several - the first I would suggest is to see a chiropractor, one that specializes in children. Often they can eliminate the colic, making all the other methods unnecessary. Here are the other suggestions, some I've used, some I've just heard about:
1) Music/sound to calm baby. Play lullabies, classical CDs. Put baby on top of a running washing machine or dryer (in a car seat). The vibration and sound of the motor can calm a fussy child.
2) Change diet. If breastfed, eliminate spicy foods from mother's diet. If bottle-fed, try a different formula or switch to a soy formula.
3) offer baby Gripe Water
4) warm aromatherapy bath or massage
5) swaddling. Get one of those mommy slings, and keep your baby close as much as you can - all day preferably. Read about "baby wearing" or "attachment parenting".
6) Motion. Rocking, swaying, baby swing, etc. Be careful - does too much motion increase risk of hyperactivity?
at 1:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011