Does anyone else ever have those 'I'm a bad mom' days?

I just need more, more and more patience with my little man. He's so dang cute (yeah, I'm predjuiced ?)hehe but I find my patience level is so low right now and I just don't know what to do to get more?? Help, I need to find patience... Ohhhh patience, where are you? I need you!!

HappySam

Asked by HappySam at 1:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I totally feel you. I don't know if we can find more patience other than getting breaks from our kids. What I do know is it's only means you're human.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There is a prayer, "God, grant me patience and give it to me right now!"
    My daughter often feels like a bad parent, and she is very short-tempered with her daughter. I know she is under a lot of stress, so dealing with the underlying stressful issues would be one way to improve your patience. Also, learning what is normal for children, and what to expect from you child can help. If you expect him to sit still at the dinner table and stop spilling his milk, then you expect too much. But if you expect him to go to sleep in his own bed and sleep through the night, he should be doing that. It's important to know what you can and can't expect, so you don't lose patience with him over something he really can't help.
    Finally, take care of yourself. Get enough sleep. Get some quiet, "ME" time as much as possible in a busy schedule. Take a bubble bath at nap time. Get a sitter once a week and go out shopping alone. Meet your needs!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I feel like you are given a wonderful situation with your little guy. Take advantage of it. Sound's like he is testing his limits/boundries with you. You may want to start setting new goals for the little guy to focus on. I do agree with LoreleiSieja. Make sure that you do get your "Me" time in. I am doing just that this week. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful mom and step dad that enjoy having my special needs daughter over for visits from time to time. Not only does it give me the me time that I need but it also give the two of us a much needed break from each other so we can reset and start over. She comes home in a better mood and behaves a lot better than when she left. It may just work for you as well. Good luck.
    Rabbitflops

Answer by Rabbitflops at 1:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yep.hold on tight.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Patience is hard to find. While children are 'cute,' they can test you. You have things you need to accomplish, and they have immediate wants and needs. You have to think through what limits you want to set and stick to those limits, in a positive and matter-of-fact manner. You are the adult and your judgment is important in guiding children to growth, acquire socially acceptable behaviors, habits, and attitudes, and to be that 'safe place to fall,' when life gets them down.
    AND, moms also need time out!
    dreamalong

Answer by dreamalong at 2:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Perhaps you need a time out, even a few hours shopping alone can increase your patience. Are you sleeping enough. I get really short when I am tired.

This is going to sound silly but sometimes I watch episodes of the Cosbies or Cailou and put myself into character and try to respond they way the unrealistic supermom would even though I want to screa--kind of fake it till I make it. Sometimes I found the overly sweet, super patient act actual gets my son behaving better, as I say,, oh thats terrible lets bake cookies and before we know it we are both on genuine better behavior.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I'm feeling like that today
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• id but we all need a break i feel bad if i buy myself something and dont by my kids something but its ok they got everything they need
    jmcdade

Answer by jmcdade at 9:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2011