How do i keep my almost 2 y/o in bed?

My DS started climbing out of his crib, so i took it down to a toddler bed so he does not hurt him self. Now he gets out of his bed, turns on the light and talks to him self or knocks on the door until i open it. I already took all the toys and everything he can play with out of the room, but he will seriously knock on the door or scream for hours if i would let him.. anyone have any suggestions?

cassncalise05

Asked by cassncalise05 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lay with im a first let him hold you. then don't let him snuggle, then stand at door, keep telling him to lay down. or very first time, let him exhaust himself. sounds terrible and like neglect, but i had to do that with my second.
    Rakel419

Answer by Rakel419 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• put him in bed, read a book or whatever your bedtime routine is. Walk to the door and turn off the light. DONT look back. when he gets up just put him right back into bed. You may have to do this 35 times with him crying/screaming. But you need to. If you let him keep going to your door then it will be come a nightly occurrence. Stay calm and dont get stressed. It may stress you out the first day or two but it'll work.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• How can he turn on the light?? If there is furniture there he can stand on, then you should probably change the room around so he cant reach it. having the light on may be one of the reasons he isnt sleeping. My daughter had this issue at daycare, not at home though. They would have to lay her on her belly and pat/rub her back. You can try this. Also, setting a routine works wonders for my daughter. She knows that after bath, we get inot bed to get our PJs on, then she can pick 3 books. We read them, say our prayers and then she knows she has to go to bed. There is no fuss because she knows there is no other choice and she is 2 yrs old. He will probably keep crying and as long as he doesnt hurt himself, he will be fine. It will eventually tire him out and he will fall sleep in bed or on the floor by the door. You can always keep coming back in and laying him down but for some ppl, if the child keeps seeing the parent, then
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• they may stay awake longer to just see them. I gave my duaghter a new stuffed animal when we switched over and now she pretends its a baby and it needs to go to bed with her. Maybe you can get him something to help him sleep
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Glad you asked this I have the exact same problem with my son, he will be two in August. He will lay at the bottom of the door and call my name until I open the door up.
    C.Parrish

Answer by C.Parrish at 12:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• allie120- he can reach it just by going on his tip toes.
    cassncalise05

Comment by cassncalise05 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am so worried about making the switch to a toddler bed....My son is only 15 months so I have time but Im already concerned lol. He has lots of toys in his room do you think he will just get out of bed and start playing with his toys? So crazy to think of my baby not being in a crib
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 3:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011