I'm worried about my 26 month old daughter ?

My daughter does not want to talk yet she says words but doesn't want to put them in sentences and that worries me that she might have a problem talking but if i tell her to do something she understand theres no problem in that area just putting her words into sentences thats a big issue right now is there anything thing i can do to help her with her speech .Any advise would be great .

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 years old is kind of early for full sentences. Give her time and don't push her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Honestly I know you have probably heard it before but every child is different!!!!!!! Just because they are not talking by 2 does not mean they are delayed, I have known children only saying a few words at that age and when taken to the Dr there was nothing wrong, and if she is delayed in speech it isnt uncommon and there is help for that. Sometimes they just need encouragement, my almost 3 year old nephew was barely talking at 2.5, little words here and there she took him to the pedi and he just said make him ask for things, if he points etc just dont do it because you understand what he wants, then we realized we all catered to him, he would point or make a noise if he wanted something and we would get it for him, as we stopped doing it, his speech came along so quickly as he was being lazy and we were aiding him without even realizing! So dont stress, give it a little time and if your still worried take him to your pedi. GL
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My first daughter didn't even really do words until she was nearly 3, but she's now a smart sweet 16 yr old with NO problem talking... and talking... and talking.. LOL. Kids all learn things at their own pace and learning to talk early is NOT an indication of high intelligence or of being any better at talking, when she gets there, so relax and enjoy her as she is right now. Don't push her to do things she's not ready for. Reading to her is the single best thing you can do for her academic development.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My oldest son who is 9. didnt talk till he was 3 he seemed to have speech problems when he was in kindergarten but the school would not look into it till he was in 2nd grade because they said he would probably grow out of it.. and he did. But he still doesn't talk much hes a pretty quite kid. Now my 6 year old who talked very early never stops talking! lol
    AmberNicoley

Answer by AmberNicoley at 2:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i agree ... give it time. you won't be able to shut her up later. my son did the same thing. when she wants something though, say word by word what she wants.
    Rakel419

Answer by Rakel419 at 3:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As the mom of a son who didn't speak until much later in life, (he was 2 before he even said momma), I would suggest getting her tested if making her ask for things doesn't help. My son is 20, speaks rarely and when he does, you really have to listen because his words are not clear. He is very smart, but never really fully developed in language even after 10 years of speech therapy. No doctor has ever been able to pinpoint the reason, and he has been to several, my advice is start trying to get her help now.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you have any concerns, I would google early intervention for your area and request a free developmental evaluation. Moms are usually much better at picking up on things with their child than drs or professionals. And if there is a delay, it's much better to catch it now than wait and hope she catches up. They will also offer free or very low cost therapy which can only help - and kids usually think it's fun because it's based on play.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It is probably nothing, but if it makes you feel better you could have her evaluated. It won't hurt anything.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011