How can I teach my self to put my foot down and be a stricter mom but still show them I love them?

I have always been the kind of mom where I let my kids get away with to much and my husband always has to be the bad guy. My 4 year old is so bossy and thinks he runs the house. How do I change this but still show them I love them?

AmberNicoley

Asked by AmberNicoley at 3:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Parenting isn't about making them like you, it's about doing what's right by them even if they don't like you for it. My kids get complimented everywhere we go about how they act compared to other children. That's because I am the mom and they know that! Everyone disciplines differently and some people don't have to because words work. But what my kids know and tell me all the time is that even when they are bad or in trouble mom still loves them. That's because after every time out or whatnot, I call them over and ask them to tell me why they got in trouble. Then before they are turned free I tell them what they did was bad and made mommy angry but mommy still loves them always. But the thing about parenting is that there is no guide. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. So good luck hun.
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• what i did with my 6 year old is put my foot down became the "bad guy" but then after the fact when they appologize explain that you still love them and why and how what they are doing is bad. he might only be 4 but i bet ya he wont expect it, and might snap outta it
    cassncalise05

Answer by cassncalise05 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would tell my kids when they were little, and they still know now that they are teens, that I loved them enough to not care if they liked me. I told them that I was the Mommy, and it was my job to make sure that they grew up right, even when they don't like it, or don't like me. Then I stuck to the rules. It can be hard, but parenting is about looking at the big picture... Ok, they might like you now, but in the long run, if you aren't teaching them the things they need to know to be successful in life (and that includes the right and wrong ways to behave, etc - even at 4 - it builds on itself, kwim...) - then, are you REALLY showing them love, or are you taking the easy way out? Love would be doing what you know is best for them - even when it's hard, kwim?

Also, I've taught my kids that it's ok if they don't always like me. I don't always like them - but, I DO ALWAYS love them!

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You need to stop worrying that they will think you don't love them if you impose limits.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Children need boundaries. Telling them no shows that you are paying attention to what they are doing. Let him know what the rules are & what the consequences are. Then follow through
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011