Oregon (no foster-to-adopt)?

Can we adopt a young child from foster care if a situation arises where we might have the opportunity to do so while fostering?

If we do straight adoption through foster care, are younger children available?

Which process do you recommend for our situation, fostering or adoption?

Please share your thoughts as we are new to this process, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Adoption

• bump
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm not sure what the laws are in Oregon... BUT, I highly recommend fostering... Most young children with mild/moderate needs are returned to their parents, but ones that do go to adoption, a high percentage are adopted by their foster parents, so if you do straight adoption, that cuts you out on a lot of young children. But, you also have to prepare yourself for the likelihood of them returning to their family...

We adopted straight thru foster care, but we searched online through all of the states websites for 3 hours every other night, inquiring on an average of 5 children a week, with mild to moderate special needs, up to age of 5, up to 4 siblings... It took us 2 years to finally get matched... If we had it to do over again, we would have fostered at the same time to open more doors, and possibly speed up the process... Good luck!!!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Good luck. We tried That. In our area they are big on return to parents at all costs. Forget the beat interest of the child or if parent has done case plan. Just saw ex fd's mom on police log for drug possession and theft again.....wonder where the girls will end up this time:/
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 12:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I believe you can foster thru adoption. My mom is a foster parent in WA and I think the laws are similar. Definitely try foster care. It can be difficult if you get attached to a child but there are so many kids that need a safe stable environment where they will not be judged. Children of all ages are available. My mom currently has a 6 month old, 2 and 3 year olds and has had kids up through 9 years. 

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2011