Why do people care so much about people with tattoos?

I have a sister (in law)...she calls me her sister and I used to call her mine until she started judging me and now I add the sister in law part because I do not want people to think we are blood related. I chose her husband's brother...she just ended up as extra baggage LOL. She's in her 60's to my 40's and I appreciate the age difference and all the different views that come with it. I got my 1st tattoo at almost 39, hubby and I waited for a long while before getting any due to religious reasons and after much thought, consideration and prayer, along with discussions with our religious leader we couldn't see any written in stone (lol) religious reasons why we shouldn't (we're Jewish, sister in law is NOT). Our 1st tattoos were Star of Davids which hubby and I and all 4 of our sons have. That was 5 years ago. Two years ago I got my 2nd (which my sisters and I all got the same tattoo at the same time in honor of our mother) and 3rd (to honor my dad). This year I have jumped from 3 to 8 (hubby just got his 2nd this year) which I'll admit is more than I ever pictured myself having but now that I have them, I am glad I finally have the chance to have them. It's not because I am 44 and hit a mid-life crisis or because I have "lost my mind" as my sister in law says. It's because I was 38 when I got my 1st and also because I waited until our financial obligations to our sons (now 25, 24, 21 and 20) had lessened (we just have 1 in college). I can afford tattoos now so I get them...that simple. I have spent a little under $1000 on all my art work.

My sister in law freaks out because I am "wasting money". Now mind you, we are both SAHW's (our children are all grown) and she has her own spending ways....finger nails done once a week, pedicures once a month, toe nail polish changed once a week at the salon, she goes tanning once a week, she gets her hair done every 6 weeks like clock work and she goes out to lunch with her friends once a week. I get my hair done every 3 mos., I get a pedicure twice a year and I have tattoos. I don't accuse her of having a mid-life crisis or of wasting money but at every turn she has something to say about me. She tells me I look trashy, that people will judge me, that she's sorry I am having a mid life crisis, etc.. Every tattoo I have has meaning, there are no regrets for me and it's probably because I did wait. Seven of my tattoos are below my knees and the other is on my right shoulder....I can cover them with jeans, shoes, skirts, etc.. I know when to cover up and when to not care. To hear HER tell it you'd think I was out to make HER life miserable. Every time I get a new one she rants and raves about how I intentionally did it to upset her because I know how much she hates it (she has even vented a few times here on Cafe Mom).

These are my tattoos:

My husband and I and all 4 of our sons have "matching" Star of David tattoos (2 sons have added to theirs)

The shamrock was my 2nd and my sisters and I all got this....for our Irish mother and her 4 daughters (the stem is outlined in her birth stone color and the leaves are outlined in her daughters birthstone colors). The signature is my dad's EXACT signature in his hand wroting, I photo copied it out of a book and had it tattooed one me.

In honor of my 4 sons, they each share a personality trait with a Ninja Turtle and since they were young I have collected TMNT items/action figures. The color their name is in is the turtle they are most like and my sons initials are on the belts.

This tattoo is honor of myself (a thyroid cancer survivor) and in memory of my mother in law (who died from breast cancer) and in memory of my grandmother (who died from uterine cancer). Breast cancer awareness is pink, uterine cancer awareness is teal and thyroid cancer awareness is pink, teal and purple.

This one I got the the day our dog Daisy died from uterine cancer. We lost her after 9 years with us and in Jan. we lost our dog Buckeye after he'd been with us for 10 years because of a house fire. For them both I got this tattoo:

This one..I have a Veteran son and an active duty son (both Army) :

And this is my newest (just got it yesterday)...our Aunt Bea passed away last week and we adored her. Her maiden name was Katz so I got a B w/cats for Bea Katz. 

They all mean something to ME....I don't care what anyone else thinks and REALLY hate that others think they need to care so much about other people and what they choose to do. I have tried to not let my sister in law get to me but she has forbid me to be anywhere in public with her with my tatoos showing (it's summer so good luck with that one) and she has publicly riduculed me so I just avoid her now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• This may be the first time I've ever gotten to read both sides to a story here on CM!

Your tattoos mean something to you, and besides, it's YOUR SKIN!!! I'm sorry your sister-in-law isn't looking past just the skin here.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• ou are writing a book of your life. It is mostly in pictures. and it is neither finished nor open for just anyone to look at. And so far it is doing no one any harm andit making you happy.. And that is just fine for you,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Tell her "YES", you get TATOOS,Just to upset her, because "You have nothing better to do with your life !

"" THEN LAUGH ""

I can not stand people, who everything is all about "THEM" AAAGGGGHHHHH
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 3:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I read your sister-in-law's post; it was pretty sad. Such a shame that she has to be so superficial and judgmental. I think your tattoos are very tasteful.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 6:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Nothing wrong with that I have started getting tattoos and I will finish the one on my back in September I have a dragon I will add my female samurai and flower maiden anime characters and on my arm I will have more of my characters made into sleaves for my arms its crazy between that and movie making and living being tattooed is awesome. Tell your sister in law yes you get tans and your nails done no one says has wasteful this is?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As long as you aren't forcing her to get any I don't see the problem. My husband has 13. I have 0. I just tell people that he has enough for the both of us, haha. Glad your tats have meaning though :)
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think spending all that money on tanning and nails is wasting money. Why? Cause its not my thing. She is full of Sh*t! Tell her to back off. To each their own.......... BTW, I like the Military Mom one!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 9:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am not a fan of tatoo's however that is a choice for myself. If getting a meaningful tatoo is something that helps you stay connected with loved ones (and pets too) then by all means indulge. Ignore other people! These tatoos are important to you, and only you, not your SIL. She needs to butt out of your business. It seems she is jealous of you for whatever reason. Some people just aren't worth the effort it takes to get upset over them. She is one of those people. She is looking to get a rise out of you. Just smile and walk away.

Too many people just have too much time on their hands! LOL!

Have a great day!

SarahFarah

Answer by SarahFarah at 9:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I will do some digging but I wonder where your sil's post is?
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 5:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• She deleted her posts when people disagreed with her. She hates when she's not right though she's really never right. LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011