If u wear acrylic nails; how do you deal with thinning natural nails ?

i have had acrylic 3 times in my life and they sanded my natural nails until it was paper thin in order to put on the acrylic, after i had the acrylic removed my nails were so thin and my fingers were sensitive . it took me almost a whole year to get my nails back to normal. any tips/ advice ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 3:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I'd like to know that to? Mine we filed down so much the bleed and hurt to even touch them. I'm scared to ever get them on again but I love them.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have had mine for over 30 years and there is no way in hell I am going to take them off. If your nails are nice to begin with I would have never put them on , but mine were thin to begin with and now I always have manicured hands, and my thin nails are as long as the acrylic. This is meant for bad nails not good ones.....

Answer by older at 7:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There really isn't a way to deal with the thinning other than to avoid acrylics in the first place. I have a friend who has worn acrylics for so long that she barely has any natural nails left
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• there is no way to deal with it, thats just how they have to do them. I'd say just start going to simply get your real nails done just a regular manicure and try to grow your own nails out. thats why i don't get acrylic on my nails hardly ever only on special occaisions.
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes, I had acrylics for a total of 3 years or so, I was so happy to get them removed, it was so expensive and so bad for my nails. I would say that you want to of course keep them plain and it will be sensitive if you bump into something, it took about 5 or 6 months for them to get better. But the rewards are greater. I will never go back. my nails have completed healed and it's been over 5 yrs.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would recommend getting gels or resin if you're going to get nails put on. If they use an electric sander tool on your nail I would run.. but that's just me. They should only be taking off the slightest top layer in order to have the gel or acrylic adhere. I had the nails for 3 years and I've finally got them to a place where they dont flake, break or anything really easily and now I just do a regular old fashioned manicure :)
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have had acryllics on for year but right now I don't have them becuase I letting my fingers breath. But I do have them on I have never had any problems with them.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011