How do i handle my one year old when he has figured out two year old tantrums? any sugestions?

he will throw himself backwards to hit his head on something, literally kicks and screams on the floor and hits you if he thinks your not paying attention to his screaming rants. i don't know whether to hold him until he stops or to just ignore the fit.

buttercup1991

Asked by buttercup1991 at 4:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did that from time to time. At two she started a hellish fit at my mother's over a cookie. When she started her tantrum, my mother and I got up and left the room. Once she realized we were out of the room she stopped crying, stood up, and walked into the living room. As soon as she saw us she threw herself back on the floor and began screaming again. We did this for another two rooms and then I finally had enough. I took off her diaper and gave her three swats on her bottom with my hand. I let her cry about that for another ten seconds before I told her that she had three seconds to dry it up or she'd get it again. She sniffed a few times and then she straightened up. The next time she tried that over a toy at WalMart, I started to pull down her diaper to spank her and she said "No no! I be good. I stop." You've got to get tough now or he will walk all over you when he's a teenager.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Also, whatever you do, never just give him his way so he won't start the tantrum, or so he'll stop. My sister made the mistake of doing that with her son when he was two because she didn't want to hear him scream and he still pitches a temper tantrum because he thinks he's going to get his way and he's 8. And if you give in once then that's how much harder he's going to try the next time and before you know if you'll have a hellion on your hands.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I parked mine safely in the play pen and left the room. The fuss stopped soon after. It didn't happen often.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i appreciate your advice but i'm sorry i do not believe in spankings. it's something i had to grow up with and my husband as well and so we said we wouldn't continue the cycle. it's not disrespect to you and your methods at all.
    buttercup1991

Comment by buttercup1991 (original poster) at 4:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i made the huge mistake of ignoring my daughter's fits in the beginning. she eventually hit her head against the floor so hard that she had dark blue bruise on her forehead. my only option after that was to kneel down to her level, hold her arms at her sides, look her in the eyes and yell at her. i have only hit her once and i would never hit her again.it was more painful for me than it was for her. im probably making a huge mistake by yelling at her, but it's the only thing that's working.when she isn't having a complete tantrum i hold her really tightly in my arms until she's quiet. sometimes it takes forever.
    RSAammi

Answer by RSAammi at 4:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My suggestion would be time out. At that age, time outs should last 1 minute. When they hit 18 months, 1.5 min for time out. Make sure it's in a place that is safe (no furniture or walls near) and make it a designated time out spot. I had my Dd sit on a pillow for time out.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 5:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• To the people that suggest yelling and spanking... sure it works, but it's just instilling bad behavior... you're teaching them it's okay for an adult to hit and yell, but not a child. When my two year old starts a tantrum, I ignore her if possible, if she's being unsafe, I move her to a different location and continue to ignore her. If she follows me and tries to get me to respond, I tell her that I won't talk to her until she's calm. I try to keep level headed and go to my happy place, because I know if I get all upset... then I'm just teaching her that her behavior is okay.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 5:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We do timeouts. She has a specific chair she sits in during time out and it works. She gets two minutes (because she is almost 2) and if she gets up her time starts all over (got the idea from super nanny). It has been great for us.
    armywife009

Answer by armywife009 at 6:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Stick to a plan and dont stray away from it or give in. Time out chairs is what we do. Or a time out mat.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I know the feeling, I have the same problem with my son he will be two in August but he has been throwing these tantrums for a while!
    C.Parrish

Answer by C.Parrish at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011