@ What age should you start teaching your child to read

I have a 4 year old who loves to learn things. I am a SAHM and wanted to see what age my DD should start to learn to read. And how do you go about starting them?

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 7:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your daughter is already recognizing sight words which is considered a pre-skill for reading.
    When at the Public Library we usually head for the Picture Books shelf and get a couple of books of my son's choice. We pick a word of the day and use it as much as possible during the day.
    Also there are books that can help you to teach your child the ABCs.
    Make reading time fun. It seems like you've already done so.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I read to my kids while I rocked them to sleep. We read and rocked from the time they came home from the hospital, both of them were already reading simple words by the time they started school. LizTee is correct that we all learn at our own paces, but why depend on the school to teach something that is so easy to teach at home and give them a head start in school?
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There is no reason a 4 year old can't start to learn to read, since it sounds like she wants to and enjoys it. I'd say those 2 are the things that control it- THEM wanting to and it being fun.

Lots of ways to start teaching them. Reading lots is very important. That's how I learned, reading with my mother. She did not attempt to teach me anything and didn't know I knew anything till I was reading books in Kindergarten. But reading alphabet books of some sort would really help, and moving your finger under the words when you read. I also enjoyed showing my son some sight words when he was ready. Letter sounds play may be fun too, though I have no clue how you'd do vowels.

Have fun and enjoy!

Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I starting reading to my boys since they were a baby and I continue to do that. There are some sight words that children should know at the Pre-K level and and ones by the time that they start Kindergarten. I printed out worksheets from online websites and then I laminated them. My son can look at the sight words and trace them with those dry erase pens and wipe them off and start again. I also printed out traceable so that he could trace his name.

I bought the fat dry erase markers so that he could grip them properly.
    mommyjewel

Answer by mommyjewel at 7:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My kids learned to read at 4. You need to start with letters and the sounds they make. You can do sight words, but doing phonics instead opens them up to being able to sound out the words they don't know - much more useful.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• A 4 year old can start reading. We started working on site words and the basics with our older daughter before she was 3 and she was reading well at 4. Our younger daughter wasn't interested as early, but by the time she was 4 she could still recognize site words and she was reading before she started school.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As soon as they can talk. You start with sight words. Let the teachers break those words in to phonemes, digraphs, and diphthongs. Parents can teach them to 'read' early.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• as soon as possible. with my kids, i read and pointed words out, and sounds. they new how to read b4 they started kindergarten.
    MommaFossil

Answer by MommaFossil at 8:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2011