"We are all guilty"

Hugh Grant being interviewed on Today about the NTW phone taps. (may be on their website later) When asked if the people who buy tabloids and visit their websites are just as responsible as the people who did it, Grant agrees, saying "we are all guilty", and that they pander to the lowest common denominator.

They crossed a line - do you think they would've crossed that line if there wasn't an audience frothing at the mouth for it to be crossed? In other words, is the outrage about appearances more than genuine outrage, at least among people who happily absorb the fruits of those labors for their own entertainment?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There's definitely a good point there. Businesses stay in business by giving the people what they want.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Very smart man for getting away with what happened and for his cover plan for what he did i personal dont visit or ready about celebrates or tabloid magazines or website its fucked up what paparazzi does
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Honestly, I've thought this for years. I find tabloids to be disgusting, and I don't buy them. They have the right to publish what they want (within reason - of course laws against things like slander, etc need to be followed). BUT - I also have the right to NOT support them or read what they publish. If enough people choose to not read it, then they won't have any incentive to publish it.

It's a matter of supply and demand. People demand trash, so they supply it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There is definitely something to it. I love how Hugh Grant said "WE are guilty" instead of "YOU are".

I try not to buy magazines etc that I don't approve of. But I'm sure I occasionally visit their websites.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Just because people are interested in a product doesn't give the manufacturer the right to produce that product by any means necessary. I think consumers have the right to assume that a business isn't engaging in immoral, unethical, illegal acts.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't buy trash or read trash so I have no guilt. Those buy the magazines and read online the trashy stories are responsible and they dictate the market. They are guilty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree. These publications go after sensational stories (or lies) because that is what people buy. If the public stopped buying, they would publish different stories to get the business.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He is correct-
    Same with what they call TV "news" .....really I think people flock to this stuff as an escape from their own real lives. Life in our real 24/7 world can get to be too much at times and IMO, sometimes people just need something to laugh at, as oppose to digest, reflect, ponder or make an educated decision. Also, misery loves company-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not me. I have never in my life bought or read a tabloid mag or paper. I have more sense than that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• do not buy or read the tabloids
    and even laugh to myself when in grocery line - i look at all the faces and see if i even know who any of those people are
    you can laugh
    but when you get older, you too will know less and less of those faces
    unless you are addicted to those headlines of the famous
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011