Are your kids trained in restaurant ettiquette?

I have been taking my dd out to eat with me since she was an infant. She knows how to behave in a restaurant. It amazes me that I see children at 8 and 9 or older who can't behave in a restaurant. So I am just curious....do you kids behave in restaurants?

Now I am not talking about an infant or toddler....I am talking about kids who are old enough to know better.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 7:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• – collapse
    Wow, what a good mother you are! You are superior to everyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Oh yes, she always behaves like a lady! I know what you're talking about, i have seen kids act the same way. Boys & girls. My Dd has never drawn attention to her with her behavior, even when she was a toddler believe it or not. My DD is kind of shy & she is the type who does not want to draw attention to herself. She is quiet & respectful. I'm sure some of it is my parenting, but i also think some if it is because of her super humble personality. She is just not a rambunctious child. She is very mellow.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes they do. It starts at home with just everyday table manners. The old fashioned ask for permission to leave the table, etc.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes mine do but I am not against restaurants who would offer 'family seating' almost like a smoking and no smoking section. There is are a handful of restaurants to do not allow any children at all because there had been numerous complaints of children who could not behave. While I think that is a bit extreme it just proves how important it is to teach our children how to act at a restaurant. The handful that can't behave stick out in people's minds rather than the majority who can. I totally get wanting to have a night out without kids including listening to other peoples children cry or scream or run around.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Mine know how to behave in public, period, not just restaurants, I once had a flat tire on the side of the road, and had to call a repair service, my kids were complimented on their behavior, the repairman said that was his first call in 10 years that had children in the car and he didn't have to ask them to get out to change the tire. I often get these kind of compliments, it all starts at home when they are babies.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My ds behaves at home, as well as in a public setting.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• my daughter would be a holy yerror if i took her out to a restaurant
    is will be four a week from today!
    so still a bit young to fit into your question
    however...
    going to a store of any kind is a huge struggle
    she has SPD sensory processing disorder (part of her autism)

SOME kids have SPD and being out at store, musuem, restaurant etc - is a senosry overload on their little brains and this will cause behavioral issues, this of course does not explain all behavoir of all kids
    BUT
    after getting dx from my daughter and learning tons about autism and senosry processing disorder... i see trantrums and behavioral issues with kids in public differently, many times i see my daughter in other kids and can assume that that child also has sensory isses.

my daughter has not been to a restuarant in a very long time, she will not sit at table and would only run wild- she can not help it, so i do not even try that -YET.
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes - all of my kids know how to act in a restaurant. I managed a restaurant for a while, so they were there often and after seeing how some people's kids there acted, I made sure mine knew what was/was not acceptable.
    My 13 yo has autism and he used to have a very hard time at restaurants, but I persisted in taking him and because I continued to take him places and expose him to different experience I am able to take him anywhere and he knows how to act (restaurants, stores, church, etc.)

Answer by missanc at 8:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• just something to think about when you see a child having behavioral issues in public
    it COULD be sensory processing disorder

and yes, it could be "bad parenting"
    but maybe it is a brain disorder

next time you see a child having an issue, take one moment to think that MAYBE this child has a brain issue and not a parent issue

just saying, think about it

when i am out with daughter, i try to use PECS for grocery store, but still 50% of time, she is so overwhelmed, she loses all of her language and starts of "stim"- this looks like humming and making odd sounds, flapping hands, running around maybe in circles, head swaying etc etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• even my grand children are too old to comment on for this however I can say that my two rambunctious boys each had a trip one time to the car for "attitude adjustment" while dining out. It never had to be repeated. Diners should not have to tolerate kids misbehaving nor parents yelling at kids. Parents should have enough sense to do their "talking" outside of hearing and viewing. Children should be taught at home how to behave and what to expect when failing to do so. However it does not mean they will not test you once they are out. However once should be enough :)
    There are children with difficulties and their parents need to try and acclimate them --however I would hope they would do this and if it becomes disturbing to those around them, then take them outside and change the situation a bit. After all they should not ruin it for others that expect a nice dinner out
    lukee

Answer by lukee at 8:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011