Did you have butterflies?

when your youngest started school? How did you deal with it? I have mixed feelings about him starting school this year and can't believe that he is old enough. Where does the time go??!!

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in

• With my older daughter it was hard because I knew she was a little scared/nervous, but I also knew she would do wonderfully. With my younger daughter, she was excited and that made it easier on me. If a child really does have issues with staying at school I would look into why. When I started Kindergarten I loved it and had no problems going. We moved and I didn't really fit in well and didn't like school so much for the rest of the year. The next year I had a very mean teacher (she was a screamer and a hair puller) and I begged my mom not to send me back (but I didn't tell her why, I was that scared of the teacher). When our daughter hit high school she had the same kind of reaction (begging not to go). We ended up homeschooling (drugs, violence and reported rapes were all great reasons for her not to want to be there) and I'm glad we made that choice.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• since my oldest isn't turning 5 until october she can't start kindergarten til next year, but even the thought of it now gives me butterflies! i remember the day i brought her home from the hospital like it was yesterday.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I remember that 1st day of school for my oldest. I think that it was harder on me than it was on them. You see, I was entrusting my DS to a teacher and the faculty to take care of. I didn't know these people. I couldn't be there all day long. For DS, it was something he looked forward to. He enjoyed the change from staying at home to going to school and learning and making friends. Now, DS is 13 and I can't wait for him to go back to school. He and his brothers are driving me nuts! :)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• boy kissing momI took off work that day, had the video camera...........I thought he would not want to stay......... (I was told this was a good thing...) He left me.........a kiss, a wave........and he could have cared less that I was a mental wreck.........LOL My son is still independent so I guess I did okay!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 8:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes, I did. He started ib one school, then we moved during xmas, so he started again in a different school. He's a social butterfly, so I needn't worry. But I do. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I worried all day on my DS first day of school. To combat that, I went into the kitchen and cooked, and I mean, I COOKED, when hubby came home and asked what was for supper, he had a choice of several different things, and I didn't cook again for a week because I had cooked so much that day, LOL It was the first time in 5 years that I had been home alone. When DD started school, I went into the classroom because I was worried she would throw a fit if I left her. The teacher gave her a new book (score 1 for the teacher), I sat down at the table and read it with her for a few minutes, then said, "Mommy has to go now, will you be ok?" She barely looked up from her book, "Bye Mommy, see you in a little while." In a way it broke my heart, but I was proud she was going to stay without a fit. It's hard, but now I'm looking at my DS moving away to go to tech training, and that is SO much harder.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011