• In the Spotlight:

how can i get a 19 month old to be potty trained and use the # 2 ?

MRS.CEE

Asked by MRS.CEE at 5:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughters 19 months and we've started getting her used to it. We got her a little potty seat for the toliet and i put her on it and read the potty book to her. I got her "big girl panties" and when she went pp for the 1st time i let her wear them. She was really excited. When she peed in her diaper i made her take them off and that killed her. She gets excited to be able to flush the toliet too! We havn't made it through the potty training yet but those are a few ideas. I'm going to give it a real go after Christmas.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 5:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• 19 months is too young for most kids, certtainly most boys to grasp. The majority of kids under 2 are just barely controlling their bladder. Bowel control comes after bladder.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Time and patience.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I started my son at 22m he has been going #2 the hole time. Once he figured out he didnt have to have it in his diaper/underware he was happy I have no problem with him with#2 now he is 28m and i just now getting the peeing down even at night.

But then again my best friends son didnt start til age 3 and he still wont go #2 on the potty.
    Anonymous

• i have started potty training my DD who is 19 months. When we wake in the morning I sit her on the toilet, she doesn't like her potty. I give her a cup and let her sit there a while and that usually works. I have even noticed that when she is trying to take her diaper off I sit her on the toilet and she has done a #2 like 3 times. I am waiting for her to be completely ready but so far she is doing good.
    kennedysmum

Answer by kennedysmum at 6:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have a 20 month old son whose Nana started with him going #2 on potty. He will actually tell me he has to go usually. He sits on the potty witha book that he likes and just stays there until he finishes. This was started when he was getting constipated and it helped him more to go when he was on the potty. The problem I am having is #1 not going into the potty it goes all over the floor.
    revas

Answer by revas at 10:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2008