Was there a point when "Getting Old" really messed with your head?

Sorry to leave you young un's out. But this is mainly addressed to the older moms on here.
I realize I'm not old. But I turned around and I was suddenly a lot older than I felt I should be. The last 12 months have been really really hard on me emotionally. I'll be 28 this next year and the only way DH and I can describe it is that I had a pre Mid-life crisis this year. I won't go into all the gory details, I'd like to save some of my dignity. But I can without doubt attribute it to getting older.

I feel like time has spend up and I'm on a cart that I can't get off of. I'm constantly worried that the next time I blink I'm going to be 45, then 60 then dead. I don't know how to get past this horrific fear of getting older....and the impossibility of embracing it. My DH turns 30 in a couple months and that thought makes me cry.

Has anyone else had an age crisis?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I'm 28 too and I cringe when i think about how close I'm getting to 30...and I feel like it isn't even fair because where did all that time go? Who stole it? Someone must have. Because it feels like just yesterday, I was 16 and we just moved down here to Houston...now I'm 28, and when I'm 30 my oldest will be 12. That scares me. I'm not scared of getting older, I don't think I'll actually freak out until 50 comes around, but I do think it's not fair that the time has gone by so damned fast. They weren't joking when they told me to enjoy being a kid, because the time was going to fly by. I wish I had taken more time to enjoy it while it lasted. Because now it feels like all that time was stolen from me.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 8:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• OMG, that is just sad. You feel old and you aren't even 30? JEEZ! I must be ancient. You sound like my parents. They are in their 50's and act 90! Who wants to be like that? Not me. My DH is 49 and flippin' hot. He exercises and takes care of himself and no one can believe his age. If you think like that you will start to look like it. Mentally it starts and then physically it follows. Snap out of it. Honey, I will make you see how old you are NOT right now:

I am 34. I have 3 kids ages 13, 12 and 9. I have 2 stepdaughters ages 19 and 14 and a stepgranddaughter age 1. I was already "old" when my friends were all in college having the time of their lives. You are what you think. You are not in a crisis. Change your mindset. Change your thinking.

You don't want to start having physical problems because you have "psyched" yourself into thinking you are older than your time.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Nope. I am very happy to say that I am proud of my age. Although I am 43, I constantly am told I do not look my age at all.. I know I certainly don't act it. When they find out I have grandkids, they think I am kidding. Age is nothing to be ashamed of. I truly live by never having to say I should have... I don't regret anything in my life. I am proud to say that I have never smoked nor did drugs and I think that accounts for looking younger than my age. I see mom's who have smoked at my age and think they are about 50. YIKES! Yes, time goes by fast, but you have to enjoy each and every day to the fullest. Do things you never have done before. You only get one chance. But most of all, I look at my grankids and pray that I will be around when they have kids of their own.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Hey!!! I'm 45 and I feel great. Don't look at it as old, if you take care of yourself now you will look good for your age...like me:)
    I know how you feel I used to feel this way especially when I got my first gray hair...lol then came the small lines on the face but not too bad just keep it moisturized don't worry about it we all go through this so enjoy life and who knows maybe we will meet in the next life looking good...lol
    Take Care.
    P.S. When I first read this post I thought you were in your 40's but when u said your age I was like...oh well!
    Anonymous

• oh man i wish i was 28 again,, it was a great time in my life,, u are not old nor are u close to being old,, wheni started to read ur question i was waiting for u too say you were alot older,,, 28 u have a long life ahead of ya ,,, may be going fast now but still 28.....
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• DUDE.

Get a LIFE.

I'm 41 - you're still in diapers.

Sorry for the complete lack of sympathy but holy moses......
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yep, I just turned 31 last month. I feel like I'm getting old. However, my 20s pretty much sucked, except for the end, so I don't wish to go back!
    cireland

Answer by cireland at 7:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I had to smile when I read your question! I'll start by confessing that I'm 45. But now, when people ask how old I am (after I swallow hard at the rudeness of the question), I actually have to think: "What year is it, and has it already passed May?" when my birthday falls.

jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That said, when I turned 30, I had a major problem with it. Birthdays were milestones for me for many years, and a time when I tended to think about where I was in life, compared to where I thought I would be at that age. So, I knew this was coming and told my dh NOT to plan a party for me. He said ok, and then didn't mention it again. I KNEW he was doing it anyway, and sure enough, when the day rolled around and I started to fall apart at work, I called him and told him that I was going to leave work and wanted to drive out of town with him to "get away". Then he had to confess he HAD planned a surprise party for me. I made him cancel it. Not to prove a point, but because I knew that I would only get worse as the day went on. I feel bad now, when I look back on it. I know what you're going through, though. Try to develop some other milestones. That helped me!
    jburg2541