orgasm question...

can just an orgasm cause changes to the cervix, effacement, softening or dilation...or does it have to be constant contractions...like if someone were to just have an orgasm from either masturbation or sex but no contractions after, can that cause changes to occur to the cervix...this is my first pregnancy so i know like nothing...

i'm 28wks3days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• umm...i heard sex can start labor. im not very sure though about masterbation, cause if im not mistaken, you need the sperm to help thin out your cervix.
    i dont know the definate answer, but i have heard SEX can trigger labor. ive never heard anything about masterbation being able to do anything.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 5:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• orgasam and semen combind yes it will stoften and efface the cervix making it easier to dialate and possibly go into labor but not til your ready to so no need to worry
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It is the sperm that really does the softening. My cervix effaced and I dilated to 1 or 2 (depends on who says) without ever having a contraction. Sex won't induce labor if your body isn't ready. I have heard that orgasms can cause your uterus to contraction, but I am not sure if it can start labor.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It won't cause preterm labor unless your body is confused. Sperm softens the cervix throughout the pregnancy. Orgasms in general can start up contractions or BH, though. I don't know about the dilating and effacing though. I completely effaced just from the baby dropping bc of the pressure.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Very rarely does an orgasm cause preterm labor I have heard.
    I don't know... maybe they were mild? I only had a few BH and the only contractions that I remember are when I went into labor. I have heard of many women that never feel contraction and dilate to 1 or 2. I never had any false labor or pre-labor contractions... mine were straight forward business contractions.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Masturbation can cause labor just as easily as sex... the orgasm itself can cause the onset of labor. Some women who are put on "pelvic rest" are put on pelvic rest with absolutely no orgasm... either from oral sex, manual stimulation by a partner, or masturbation. I've never heard anything about semen thinning out a cervix, but I do know that the hormones released during sex can also cause the onset of labor.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 6:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If your body isn't ready for labor meaning you have had no contractions already, no changes in the cervix then sex isn't going to help. For me it didn't anyways. My cousin had sex during the early stages of labor and it helped her progress but like I said she was already in early stages. Doctor told her strait out go home and have sex I will see you in a couple hours.
    jennifer8585

Answer by jennifer8585 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008