Constipation at 5 mo? (PIOG) *UPDATE*

DD just turned 5 mo old on the 10th. She hasn't started solids yet, and the only thing other than breast milk she's had in her belly is an occasional dose of gas meds or infant Tylenol because I think she's teething & she felt a tad warm. I noticed she hasn't pooped in 3 or 4 days. I'm starting to get concerned. But she hasn't been fussy or acting uncomfortable... she has the most MELLOW, laid-back personality and since birth only cries if she's really tired. Even when hungry she just eats her fist and grunts a little. Recently I HAVE noticed that her cries escalate QUICKLY to full-out SOBBING if I don't get to her RIGHT AWAY when she wants a nap, and if she's hungry she'll cry now too and it also escalates quickly. But for the most part if she's slept and eaten she's the same happy baby I've always had.
Should I give her something to help her poop and if so, what is OK? I expect a MAJOR BLOWOUT any time, now... but it just never comes.

*UPDATE*

We had blowout, of course, right the middle of my errands today, and boy was it a doozie. Thank you all!!! :D
BTW - those wax things are Glycerine Suppositories. I actually have some from when DD#1 was a baby and I completely forgot about them. Thank you again!!!

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is perfectly normal for bf babies to go up to a week without poopoing. Especially at that age, she is probably hitting a growth spurt and using up most of the milk.

Yes, be ready for that blowout :)
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son sometimes went 7 days before pooping. As long as she isn't distressed, I wouldn't worry about it. Well, if a week later she hasn't pooped you probably should talk to a doctor just to be sure.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• :D LOL just my luck I have to go do some errands today... you KNOW that's just when it'll hit!!
    Thanks...
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's normal for a breastfed baby not to poop very often, it does not mean they are constipated (they are only constipated if their poop is coming out in hard balls)
    A breastfed baby can go 1-2 WEEKS without pooping and it's normal! (Crazy I know!) Breastmilk is the perfect food, their isn't a lot of waste and it's also a natural laxative so almost impossible to become truly constipated if they are only on breastmilk.
    When my son was a baby he only would poop once every 5-7 days.
    You might want to try some rectal stimulation though... it helps but it's messy. Put a towel under your baby, lube up you pinky (short nails only) and gently insert the tip into their rectum... they will bear down and poop!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You can also buy for babies tiny wax things to insert in the rectum (senior moment hear for the name of it) and they will poop. At the most you have to put it in and hold their butt checks together for a bit until they really push it and the poop out, some times the damn thing pops out or melts from body heat. They work and they DO NOT hurt the baby in any way, they are made for babies, and are very small. Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes, my son had that issue, I would suggest a small dose of a stool softner. My son had some of those same issues and he got better after one time of taking it. This might be the age where blowouts occur, no way around it. But, understand that you aren't worrying for nothing.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011