Romney refuses to sign anti-gay marriage pledge

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43736633/ns/politics-decision_2012/

My favorite quote:

Andrea Saul, a spokeswoman for Romney, told The Associated Press in a written statement Tuesday that Romney "strongly supports traditional marriage," but that the oath "contained references and provisions that were undignified and inappropriate for a presidential campaign."

I have to agree completely, the pledge is 100% inappropriate for ANY presidential campaign. Thoughts?

miss_lisa

Asked by miss_lisa at 9:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He is trying to bury Bachmann-

He should have said that politicians in America should not attempt to legislate morality-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• None of them will sign anything about anything if they are smart. Stuff like that will come back to haunt them in a massive way if they win the nomination. I doubt it was so much about being for or against an issue and more about not putting his name to anything. Smart election politics is what he is practicing.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• good for him! if he wants to get moderates & Independents he's gonna have to down-play the religious right shtick & stick to the economy & other political issues. making social issues equal to or more important than the economy is a sucker's move.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think we need to kick social issues to the curb and focus on FISCAL ones. Roe v Wade is in no danger of being overturned and gay marriage issues belong to the STATES not the feds. Anyone trying to shift the focus is just playing politics...I'm not buying.

BTW, Romney isn't even in my top 5 so I don't really care what he thinks.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• WHO THE HELL CARES? There are more important issues: for starters the debt ceiling! The countries finances! The economy!!! I'm sorry socials issues like abortion, gay rights, etc NEED TO BE ON THE SUPER BACK BURNER!!! Let's focus on the real issues!!!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Exactly what YSK said
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Wow... I don't think this is realistic view of modern day politics at all. I think the vast majority of Americans are becoming moderate. The loudest group are those that are very strictly conservative and liberal, but being the loudest doesn't mean you're also the biggest. As more Americans become disgusted with DC they start to move more to the center. Don't appeal to moderates, but then watch yourselves lose the election. Obama won, he appealed to independents and moderates. John McCain appealed to Republicans and conservatives and not much else. He lost.

THIS^- also agree that if Romney is toast, so is the GOP in 2012-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Of course he refused.... He is politicking... Even though I don't agree with Bachman 100%~ at least she commits to what SHE believes in... He saw the heat she took, and even if he agreed with the pledge~ he wouldn't risk his marketing campaign by signing it..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Bachmann is burying herself, doesn't matter what Romney does. She's TOAST.

I do applaud him even if his intention was to slam Michelle.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• THIS^- also agree that if Romney is toast, so is the GOP in 2012-

Making this statement in July of 2010... Really? Before a single Primary or formal Primary Debate? Seriously?  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011