Where do babies come from/Sex talk???

I have my own opinions about when I should talk about babies and sex to my daughter. But would also like more ideas to help me.

My daughter is 2 and is asking where babies come from and as of now we are just pointing to my belly in the pregnancy photos. How much more in depth should I go? And how old were your your kids when you got into more detail? Also, at what age did you give the sex talk and what did it consist of?? I dont plan on talking to her about sex now because I dont think is necessary this year, maybe in a few years.

Thanks in advance!!!

Allie120

Asked by Allie120 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• At 2 I just told mine they came from mommy's tummy and they didn't ask any more. Gradually as they got older I answered their questions more in depth depending on their age and what they were asking. I had a really long talk with both my son and daughter when they were 9 - not that I think that's a magic age, but I wanted to do it before the school did their presentation and they were starting to get some information from other kids at school - I wanted to make sure they knew the RIGHT information.
    They are now 9 and 11 and I plan to sit down with my 11 yo (ds) and talk more indepth about birth control. They know what it is, but not the specifics. I think you just talk to them a little at a time as they grow - it's not a one time deal.

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• at 2 really telling her your belly is plenty. As she ages, her questions will prompt you to get more in depth, well how does it get out of your belly? how did it get in your belly- when she ask, she is old enough for an answer. Now how "graphic" your answers also vary... for instance mommy and daddy made the baby will be fine for a spell, then it will turn to HOW did you make it...

I didn't do ONE big talk, I talk often and openly with my older boys who are now 14 and 16. and have been very open to any questions in this subject since they were born, but around age 11 is when it started to get more in depth and of course in 6th grade they had the health class that discussed it... and from that point on, random questions and conversation have came about.

Hope that helps. And at 2, even if you say the stork brought it... they are content. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 9:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes, as of right now, she has been conrent with "babies come from mommies belly." She often asks the question and will answer it with that before I can say anything. She is a very curious girl and very advance. I never thought one big talk would do the trick but many talks help. Its great to know both of your families are very open to talking about those subjects!!!
    Allie120

Comment by Allie120 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've basically just answered their questions as well as talking with DD before the school did. I also believe in using the correct name for things. I would say that the baby is growing in mommy's womb. It you say belly, they may think it's the same as where the food goes. This can be confusing to kids.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I just go based on her questions. When she wants more information, she will ask. Mine started with "Where do babies come from" --"mommy's belly". It went on to "how did it get in there"--"Daddy put it there". Which eventually became "How" and that is where we discussed penises and vaginas and eggs and sperm. Mine is 6 and has watched a birth video, seen fetal development stages at museums, talked about periods, etc. It has never been a "big secret" in our house.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• thanks for asking this question....my 4 year ds is asking the same thing. But he wants to know how the baby gets in the belly...no way am I telling him how....so I just told him that every baby comes from a special seed, and we had to search for it. Then when we found it I swallowed the seed and it began to grow into a baby.
    Terra24

Answer by Terra24 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Terra, that is a good analogy!!! But if I said that to my daughter, lol, she would start eating things haha!!

Do both parents have the sex talk when they older?? Do you do it together or seperately??
    Allie120

Comment by Allie120 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I talked alone with both my son and daughter. Their dad and I are separated and he's very uncomfortable talking about sex - he would never talk to them and if they asked just tell them to wait! My husband has been in their lives for 5 years, but I still felt like it was my place to go over the mechanics, although my husband has had a talk with my son about having respect for females. I think it's more about which parent is more comfortable talking about it and which parent the child feels more comfortable with.

Answer by missanc at 10:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011