Is Your Dog A Hoarder?

So I wrote a question a while ago about my dog stealing my shoe and I found it a few weeks later in an old unused dog house on the property, along with a bunch of other stuff that had gone missing, a saddle blanket, a cat toy, a chewed up Readers Digest, stuffed animals, and some other stuff. I've been keeping a close watch on the doghouse since then but I went up into the hayloft of the barn and found more stuff she had taken, my maternity bathing suit, an old chewed up bottle of sunscreen, the TV remote, an old cellphone, an old fitted sheet, and a chewed up paper plate. I don't usually go into the hayloft, that's usually the cat's domain, but I use it as a storage space and, since I'm adopting a baby, I needed to get to my old baby stuff. I don't know what to do about that damn dog. Do your dogs hoard things? What do you do to stop them?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Are you sure it's he dog and NOT the cat? My mom's cat steals and hides stuff......
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The only stuff my dog is steals is my baby's stuff, and sometimes my clothes. Sometimes I will walk out in our backyard and one of my socks is out there, along with our DD's toys and sometimes even her pacifier or even an old bottle that we don't use anymore.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The cat doesn't go in the house. She prefers the barn.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• this makes me smile.. I just wonder what those babies are thinking when they run off with stuff ha ha.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It is the scent that attracts them,your families scent. My cat steals things,don't be too sure it is not the cat too! Cats r climbers!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My 8 yr old lab would take my cell phone, watch, and anything else left next to my bed every night, when he was little. I asked the vet about it and she said that Lab's are notorious thieves. He's outgrown it. But he does have his own Blankie that he carries around with him at all times.
    Mom2Joana

Answer by Mom2Joana at 11:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• The family pet is now a puppy that hoards her chew bones and socks she finds throughout the house. I keep telling my son and hubs to put their stuff up,lol. I think it also depends on the breed of dog. Ours is a female mix of hound/pit...never had a dog do that before,ever.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 9:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• It was always really interesting looking in my Greyhound's doggy bed he was a certified pack-rat :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2011