Is it very necessary to count your baby kicks? i started week 28 today, and i am wondering if i should bother doing it. I feel the baby quite often.

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I never did since, like you, she was very active.

Now, if she didn't move a lot, then I would count.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I never had to or have to now. The one time that I sat down and actually did do the counts my daughter moved 30 times in one hour!!! I found it pointless after that, lol.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• kick counts are good because it gives you an idea of how active the baby is. if you do it enough you will notice that the baby has distinct waking and sleep patterns that can follow after the birth. the other thing is with the kick counts if you have a normally active baby who is suddenly inactive then you can tell your provider and they can look into it. i did them with all of mine, and thanks to that they saved her life. she was a normally active baby like u said yurs is then toward week 38 she stopped moving. she still had a heart beat but was struggling so they induced me. turns out she was straagnling herself with her umbelical cord. she did suffer some brain damage due to the lack of oxygen but if it were not for the kick counts she would no be here..
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• with my first I didn't have to (diffrent dr), my second I was asked to after 28 weeks I don't remember if I did do it though. his time around they gave me another paper to do the kick counts. I don't have to take it back it just gives me an idea of how often the baby moves. But this baby moves litterly none stop the only time it doesn't kick is when i am walking around. They want me to do the kick count 2 times a day 12 hours apart from eachother for an hour and with a 6 year old (isn't to bad), but with a 3 year old that gets into everything and dh at work I don't have time to lay down for an hour. So if the baby becomes less active I will do them, but as of right now she moves none stop so I am not to worried about it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Mine was SO active, I never did.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 10:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You don't really need to, but you should know about on average how often the baby does. That way if something happens you know. I think it is pretty easy when the baby is not moving as much as they were, even without counting, I counted for awhile with my daughter, but I have other things to do than just sit around counting how many times my belly gets kicked.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• thanks for the responses!
    kb81888

Comment by kb81888 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i dont i probably should cause my LO isnt very active at all
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• if you always feel the baby move then no dont worry about it but if you havent felt the baby move in a while thats when its important!!
    dedicatedmama2

Answer by dedicatedmama2 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you feel baby move all the time then dont worry about it. But if baby starts to slow down or isnt as active then you should. Your doctor will want to know.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011