Too many gifts!

So... This may sound bad, but here goes...

My daughter already has too many toys (7 mos old). They keep coming... and its not even Christmas yet. I am not getting her any toys. I am getting special personalized keepsake gifts... I know my mom has gotten like 12 toys already and who knows with the rest!?!? My question is what have you all done to cut back on toys? I have already told people she has enough toys and to buy small things, but its not working... Have you considered donating? We are literally running out of room!

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 5:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All you do is get some storage bins and put some away in them. Let her play with a few one week, then pack them up and take out a few more from storage and rotate them in and out. I feel your pain though my kids have too many toys too.
    Anonymous

• Tell your family "We already have too many. If you insist on buying even more, fine, but just know that I'm going to sort through them and send whatever I think is too much to Salvation Army."

that worked for me. once they knew a lot of them wouldn't stay anyway, they cut back
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 6:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If you don't nip this in the bud now, it will continue for years. Kids with too many toys actually have a hard time deciding what to play with and frequently raise that horrible cry "I'm bored".

Tell them you want books or contributions to a college savings account. Flat out tell them that after Christmas you will be thinning the toys and donating at least half of them to a homelss shelter. Remind them of this often - especially before birthdays and Christmas - and follow through. Once they see that you mean it, most grandparents listen.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Start a grandma's house toy collection. All of the toys you don't have room for can stay there. We did that once with my in laws and since then, they have been a lot more reasonable about gifts.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have 3 kids and I hear ya! This year I did not buy any toys for our kids and everyday a pkg. comes I am glad that I didn't. We put some away for rainy days. People also seem to give toys that are too old for them and those I will put up until they are old enough to play with them. I don't think there is anything wrong with donating the toys especially when alot of people are having a hard time this year. We get doubles sometimes and I re-gifted them for birthdays. (I don't re-gift usually, but if you got doubles I don't think it is rude).

It's frustrating that people don't listen. Kids these days are bombarded with way too many toys. I think it is over stimulating and that kids are mis-led to think that x-mas is about toys.
    Happy Holidays!
    Faewds

Answer by Faewds at 6:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Im right there with you, my MIL is exactly the same way, she just buys and buys and buys. Its overwhelming. So i know how you feel. What Ive been doing is I put more than half of her toys away that she doesn't play with as much and kept her favorites out. Then after a month I switch those toys out for some different ones. This way there arent toys everywhere. And each month she feels like she is getting all brand new toys lol My daughter is 1 1/2 and it works like a charm lol other than that I would say either donate or just make up an excuse like oh she got one already or something and ask for the reciept.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You can store the toys away that she doesn't play with (attic or garage) and just have a handful of toys out for her to play with. Call or email all your family and friends and say PLEASE no toys for Christmas...Tell them books or educational videos or clothes instead. Hope they finally listen to you. We had to do the same thing. My daughter turned a year old on Dec. 1st and we emailed everyone, we have enough toys so don't get her any for Christmas. We prefer books and clothes. Good luck to you. Plus, it's not Christmas yet...I hope everyone listened to me too. ha ha
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• First of all, she's only 7 months old...she doesn't even know the difference yet! Let them get it out of their system now and not when she's older and can actually be spoiled. My baby will be 4 months on Christmas and I am going thru the same thing. Put them in storage containers and store them in the garage. You will appreciate them later. You can also tell them to buy her toys in a higher age group, that way you will have them when she gets older. Enjoy it! She's only little for a while:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2008