If you had $25 a week to spend for groceries, what would you buy?

We are both getting ready to lose our jobs. We have enough in savings to make it through 6-7 months of bills with about $100 a month leftover for groceries. We have a decent stockpile at the moment, and I plan to really stretch that as far as I can go.

Not knowing how long it will take us to either find new jobs or get called back to work, what would you buy with $25 a week for a family of five? Especially knowing that this is going to be the limit we have for a while?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• A bunch of ramen noodles
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• can never go wrong with lunch meat, bread, cheese, milk, it gets old after a while..believe me, i have been doing that seems like forever.
    i know it's just me n my son, but when i would get a family size of chicken breasts, i take them and basically can get 2 pieces outta 1 by pounding it down some with a meat cleaver. split em in half n there ya go..u can at least feed 2 ppl. i would have a lot of chicken left over.. dunno if that helps any. hope u find jobs soon! GL
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Rice. beans....also check to see if you have an Angel Food Ministry around you.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Do you have a bread machine? I would buy supplies for making my own bread, peanut butter, beans, rice and pasta and watch adds closely for really good sale prices. Tuna casserole can be made in large batches, and you can use less tuna and more noodles to stretch it further. Produce and dairy products can be the hardest. Off brand regular hot dogs can be cheap. Mac & Cheese and of course ramen noodles are cheap.

Check into the Angel Network and see if they have one near you. You can buy a box of groceries for a pretty cheap price, used to be $15, but I don't know what it is now.

Good luck. Hope you both find something soon.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Rice and beans, Ramen noodle(like wendydays said) caned meat. caned veries,

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• AngelFood - www.angelfoodministries.com

Sample menu for $30 (family of four for about two weeks); the menu changes every month:
    4 lb. IQF Leg Quarters
    4 oz. Beef Back Ribs
    1 lb. 80/20 Lean Ground Beef
    2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders
    1.5 lb. Bone in Pork Chops (4 x 6oz.)
    1 lb. Ground Turkey
    18 oz. Stuffed Manicotti (Cheese)
    12 oz. Smoked Sausage
    Betty Crocker Seasoned Potatoes
    7 oz. Cheeseburger Dinner
    16 oz. Green Beans
    16 oz. Baby Carrots
    2 lb. Onions
    1 lb. Pinto Beans
    1 lb. Rice
    7 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix
    10 ct. Homestyle Waffles
    Dessert Item

They have add on packs for extra produce, gluten-free, etc.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Ramen Noodles, mac and cheese, canned veggies, spaghetti, speghetti sauce, hot dogs, canned chili... other kinds of pasta... I'd go for anything on sale and clip coupons, there are TONS of sites you can get coupons off of and use along with sales. I'd get canned tuna... other things canned that are cheap, I'd get tortillas and refried beans for burritos, and I'd get a 5 pound package of hamburger, divide it up and spread it out. I'd also do soups and alot of sandwiches, pb&j, grilled cheese, get some of the cheaper brands of lunch meat... Frozen pizzas, and tv dinners.... It would also help to go through the ads on sunday, see what's on sale, and go online and look for coupons you can use with that stuff so you get more for your money. Hope this helps.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Milk, bread, cheese, and lots of mac and cheese and ramen noodles. Frozen pizzas, buy all store brand. We eat a lot of pb&j and grilled cheese because they are pretty cheap to eat.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Milk, eggs, cheese, clearance produce, bananas (usually the least expensive fruit), meat that is clearanced or on sale. I can often find whole chickens that have to be sold by that day, for $2 or $3.

I assume you have some beans and rice at home, otherwise I would buy some of that. 10 pounds of potatoes will go far too!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Bread
    Milk
    Eggs
    Sandwich Meat
    Cereal
    Mac & Cheese
    Ramen noodles
    Pizza Bites
    Potatoes
    .......that would probably take it all!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011