Help purchasing a car seat for my special needs child- I already tried looking it up myself

I am trying to see if there is any kind of program to help me buy a new car seat for my special needs son. He has been in a booster with a lap belt for a while now but it is not working. He is going to be killed if we get in a wreck. He is able to climb out of it and get on his knees and I am constantly having to pull over to tell him to sit properly. I want him to be in a harness but he is 50 pounds now! There are car seats that go to 65-80 but I do not have $100-250 for it! I mean legally he is on the right seat but safety wise he is NOT ready for a lap bet with a booster. Are there any programs to help me buy one? I will do layaway if I must but I would rather have it sooner than later! I am in Ga. Near ATL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not really sure on this one. I know some fire depts. have ways to help. Maybe check with them or the police dept.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Does he go to a school for children with special needs? If so, they may have information for you in the office. Or other parents there maybe of help also.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm answering so I can find this again - I will try to find out for you. I know there are carseats made specifically for special needs kids to keep them strapped in (my 13 yo has autism and we went through this when he was little). Right now I would recommend calling the police station or the fire department - they might know.

Answer by missanc at 10:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have the Graco Nautilus for both my kids (ages 1 and 4). Its $137.98 on Walmarts website with free shipping to home. It harnesses to 65lbs. I bought mine with my tax return. I don't know if anyone would help with purchasing one. Good luck!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Check with your local hospital for the next car seat check. They usually have several choices to purchase at low cost.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 10:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• check with your local human resource office they usual know where you can get help for these things
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011