My 21 month old son's temp is 99.5 and he threw up last night, should I take him to the doc?

the vomit was liquid (juice). he's actin pretty normal, besides bein a little more fussy than ususal. the only reason i'm askin is because my mom is flippin the f*** out sayin she's goin to call cps. i didn't think a 99.5 temp was considered a fever. i also gave him baby tylenol after i got him settled last night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she calls CPS for that they will probably say there is nothing they can do. 99.5 is a mild temp. Keep him hydrated. If he can't keep any liquids down then take him in.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think anything over 98 is cause to call a doctor, I'd definately take him to a doctor! Good Luck
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I wait it out. As long as he is behaving normally, keeping fluids downs, and the temp isn't high for a long period of time (days), I usually don't get worried about it. That's crazy to react SO much to ONE time throwing up and a fever for one day (and a low one at that). If that is what she tells CPS I think they will just laugh!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Call and ask the triage nurse what she thinks! I know they usually tell me to wait 24 hours as long as the fever doesn't get over 101... And she is eating and drinking normal!
    ttcforever6391

Answer by ttcforever6391 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• if cps came here because of her calling she would be in trouble. it's against the law here to call cps if there's nothing wrong in the home. i don't know the penalty for breaking this law. our home is very clean, happy & childproof. she's actually threatened me with this several times & i don't really understand why. if you asked any1 else they would be like "wtf?"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Normal is 98.6 so its just a low grade temp. The dr probably won't see him unless his fever spikes or he can't keep anything down. Just keep an eye on him. CPS won't do anything.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As long as his temperature doesn't spike and he's able to keep fluids down, I'd just keep an eye on him. Good lord, your mother must be a real control freak to threaten you with calling CPS over something so minor.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• yea he ate dry cereal for breakfast & was tryin to eat daddys alfredo & meatballs. he also had a full cup of milk & is drinkin water now. thanx every1
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• How long has he had a temp for? I think calling CPS is a step too far! Has be vomited today at all? If the last time he vomited was last night and nothing since, try him with small amounts of dry food.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would say that it's still ok. I normally don't worry until its almost 102, watch for spiking but otherwise, if it does bring him in but I think it's ok right now.
    keep the fluids going.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011