Would you say this to a 12 yo?

A week ago, we were sitting around the campfire while camping. My husbands niece was asking about our 12yo sons bone disease. I was telling her all about it. She asked about it being hereditary mainly because of the name of his disease. She asked so if it's hereditary then why did it so up in him? I told her that there are what are called spontaneous mutation in the genes, but once it shows up then one who has it has a 50% chance that they will pass it on to their children. My son does know this as we tell him everything that we learn, so he doesn't have any surprises. She turned looked at him and said well just don't procreate, save our society. I looked at her and said really you should know better. When My husband found out he was livid. He said if he had heard this he would have gone off on her. How could an adult who is very educated say this?

daps

Asked by daps at 10:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's horrible.. Sad thing is this is what our society has come too! Sorry you have to deal with her ignorance... I believe your husband still has a right to say something to her...
    ttcforever6391

Answer by ttcforever6391 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sounds like she may be 26 but is still very immature. I would have smarted off that she shouldn't have kids either since ignorance can be passed on.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• That is just rude! No one should say that to a young boy! That is like telling a woman who only has a 50/50 chance of having a 100% healthy baby that she shouldn't even try and she should "save" our society. People like that are the reason our society is the way it is!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Nope sure wouldnt. How old is this girl?
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would not say that to a 12 year old. Maybe she was just kidding and trying to lighten the mood-not that it excuses her behavior at all; it was wrong.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Doesn't matter what her title is... She still disrespected your son and that was a slap in the face to you and your husband! She should be told that comments like that will not be tolerated!
    ttcforever6391

Answer by ttcforever6391 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• That is just wrong. Poor kid.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Could it have just been a thoughtless slip? If she normally handles herself well maybe she just didn't think and put her foot in her mouth? It was definitely thoughtless, but maybe accidentally so.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• :( hopefully u will figure the right thing to do! I would hate to see what she could say next if it goes untouched!
    ttcforever6391

Answer by ttcforever6391 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Wow 26 yeah she should most certainly know better.. I think I would let my dh give her a call..
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2011