Competitive Dance

My dd is 8. She is currently taking a Hip Hop class and a Tap/Jazz class. Her dance school is putting together a competitive team. She really wants to try out for it. This would bring us to three dance classes a week. I think she is a little young but she has her heart set on it. She absolutely loves her Hip Hop class and does not want to give it up. But one of the requirements to be on the team is either Tap/Jazz or Ballet. The dance team would meet on Fridays so it isn't like it would be a huge deal with school or anything. But it would cut into her free time. I have discussed this with her and she says she understands and still wants to do it.

What do you think?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she understands the commitment I would tell her she can do it as long as it doesn't affect her school work or any commitments at home (chores, responsibilities, etc.). At 8 I don't think it's a huge deal, but knowing girls who danced competitively in highschool, it can very easily dip into study time as she gets older - knowing that she HAS to keep her grades up to participate will make sure the nothing slides.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We have been doing this since my 19 year old was 5. I never let her dance every day ((you deserve a break too) like some of the others, but I did let her compete.

For your daughter...I would let her give it a try and see how she handles it.
    For the studio...comps are a cash cow for them. They get the money for the lessons, a portion of the fees, costumes and prize money.
    For the comps...serious business. They only care about the money.

I am all for capitalism lol, just keeping aware.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Since she is doing the other classes her competitive class would only be an extra $10/month. Not so worried about that. I just think it is a lot for an 8y/o to handle.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would be glad your child has interests and I would encourage her to participate as long as she feels it is fun. Certainly, both you and your child are making time commitments, and you, as the adult need to consider how much is too much. Some children can handle it and some cannot. When I taught public school, I had a parent who was supermom and expected her daughter to be able to handle some after school event each evening! Her daughter was struggling in school, and the mother's solution was more homework! I would say, if she is doing well, showing enthusiasm, and you can manage the time and commitment, go ahead. If a point comes that you feel it is to much, be wise and cut back.
    dreamalong

Answer by dreamalong at 1:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Some kids have a passion and are driven to handle a heavy load. Sounds like your dd is right there. Keep the pressure low, tell her she will have to keep her grades up and give her an out and then watch her go. She will either learn a very early lesson in work/home balance or she will be off to be a competitive dancer.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2011