Organic: a scam or common sense?

recently i was talking to an older woman (in her 60's: didn't say old, just a different generation than me) and i mentioned that i buy organic whenever i can, and she smiled and said "you believe in that stuff?" she's sweet so i wasn't going to argue with her, but i was shocked. so many people i encounter think organic is a scam. sure i realize many very "un-green" companies jump on the green bandwagon, but to think the whole thing is a scam seems like denial to me... but out of curiousity, what are all of your thoughts?

p.s.- i'm a huge advocate of food=mood and regularly buy organic, fresh and without any artificial colors. also here's an interesting video done by a little girl you might all like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBEFCiWyW0&feature=share

juliness

Asked by juliness at 10:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've never read or heard anyone saying it was a scam.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree with you. I buy organic when I can, at least the fruits and veggies in the "dirty dozen", and I prefer to buy organic milk and meats. I like to give my family the organic milk and meats because there's been a link between the hormones that the animals are treated with in the milk and meats and early onset puberty in kids. Plus the antibiotics the animals are treated with also are found in the milk and dairy, and I don't need my kids over exposed to antibiotics to make their bodies more resistant to them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Wow... Here's the thing. I think the amount of un-green companies who claim to be green act as bad apples for the whole bunch. I do my best to be eco-friendly and in fact am in the process of creating a blog/site around Natural living & a Green lifestyle. It's a huge part of my life. BUT, I think there are so many companies out there who have sullied the water for us all. So many things SAY green, and yet are far from it and then there are very good "green" companies and you still need to pay attention to EVERYTHING you buy. People think I'm crazy because I don't by products which rate above a 2 on the "Skin Deep" data base, or that do Animal testing. I also don't use medications, chemical cleaners or pesticides or disposable personal products. Now, I'm in the process of relearning how to cook w/o preservatives, additives or other chemicals - which means no processed easy stuff... and of course, organic when needed...

cont.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I dont think its a scam.. I just wish it wasnt priced so high! Less additives and chemicals makes it cost more SAD :(
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• But I have read and heard a LOT of people who think it's a scam, I know what you are talking about. Many friends of mine refuse to buy organic because its more expensive and they do not think there is anything bad in or on the foods they eat because if you can buy it in a store, it must be safe. I like to try to educate people but many of them take offense if I even bring it up so I just leave it alone. If someone asks why I buy organic, I will tell them but otherwise it's a losing battle.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I will say though that I am not 100% organic, simply because it's not available here. The only thing our grocer sells that is organic is bananas, tomatoes and apples. So, since we need more than that, I'm not 100% there yet. But as we get more options, I will be buying more and more.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I try to buy organic for the "dirty dozen", and almost exclusively buy hormone and antibiotic free meats and dairy. I honestly believe it is less harmful to us and the environment.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• First you have to really know your stuff. I've seen numerous articles over the years, from creditable sources, (can't site right now just sharing) where chickens can be label organic or free range if the gate to the pin is open even for 2 minutes and they are "freely" allow to roam those two minutes, but truly never left the pin. Second what can be labeled "organic" may not be truly organic or what you (or I) would consider "organic". I think the biggest issue is false labeling. There is so much of it within the so call "organic" market that it makes anyone cautious and not wanting to get suckered into paying more just because it has an organic label on it.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• scam is not the best word to describe it. the term organic originally meant carbon-based. now it just means there were no pesticides used. the loop hole in all of this is that they are allowed to use pesticides under certain circumstances and still label it organic.
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We buy anything that comes from an animal especially Milk, eggs and Meat in organic
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 10:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2011