What is a summer day like at your house? What do you do with your kids while thier out?

Im starting to feel like the only thing my 6 year old step daughter does all day and all night during the summer is watch tv and movies. What is a day like for your kids this age or close to this age? Do you make them have other responsibilities like chores or cleaning? I feel like she needs to be doing something much more productive everyday and night then watching tv, then again im pretty anti tv and my husband is the first to just turn the tv on every chance he gets! They also run around to the grandparents all day and they watch her most days that we have her. Everyday is ALLL fun and no responsibility. Tell me what your summer is like for your kids! Thanks !

stepmom2B29

Asked by stepmom2B29 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Town rec program 3 days a week from 9-12, and 1 day a week 9-4 (field trip). When they are home they are generally in the pool. When they get tired they come in and play a little on the computer or some video games, or watch a little tv. Once in a while a friend comes over. They stay pretty busy and sleep real well!!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• In the morning we do yard or garden work. After lunch we go to the library or shopping or playground, then some inside chores for me and playtime for the children until dinner.

Answer by Bmat at 10:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• When my kids were that age I had crafts planned for them, we went to the library for story hour, and they participated in sports at parks and rec. We did swimming lessons every summer, and they went outside and did things like making tents out of blankets, and playing with their friends.

They had a few chores at that age, but not a lot. We made sure they continued reading during the summer, and had some workbooks for them to do so that they didn't totally get away from doing school work.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Mine are older and younger than yours, but I plan at least one special thing/week (library, museums - we have a natural history, kids museum, art museum, museum of history), playground/lakes to feed the ducks and walk, planetarium, etc.) and then we swim everyday. My kids also go out and ride their bikes and scooters, jump on the trampoline, play basketball, etc.
    If I had an only child though I would sign her up for a daycamp every couple of weeks to keep her from being bored and to get her out with other people.

Answer by missanc at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Well, we have 5 kids ages 8,5,4,2 and 7 months, and I believe it is our responsibility as parents to keep them busy! During the week we, do bike rides, hikes, and swimming, we also do alot of baking. During the weekends, we do the ocean, zoo, park and picnic, lake, boating and fishing... and tey love all of it, we pick what we want to do for the weekend on Monday and we plan the week ahead on Sunday!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• 5 kids! Man i give you big time props for keeping that many young kids busy! You have to be a super mom! =) Thats awesome, i bet there is never a dull moment in your day!
    stepmom2B29

Comment by stepmom2B29 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• in the morning we get up eat breakfast clean up the kitchen then we either go for a walk or go to the library come home have lunch then the kids watch a movie and relax for an hour or so then they read and help get dinner ready
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They get up like they normally do, have breakfast and watch TV until I wake up. Then I make them get their chores done and, if it's not raining, they go outside to play. If I hear, "I'm bored" I find more chores for them to do until they are "un-bored". Then they come in for lunch around 11-12. Then back outside to play some more. What they do outside is up to them. They have friends to play with (they just need to find them), bikes, chalk, balls and are allowed to take some of their toys out if they pick them up after. I don't entertain my kids or come up with activities. That's their job.
    Right now it's wet and dreary out. My older 2 girls are at a friend's house (spent the night). My 5yo is dancing around the living room playing with her baby brother. The 9yo is playing with his Legos at the kitchen counter.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am answering this as a parent whose only child is grown, and has gone through this. First, you are right to be concerned about too much tv watching. 1. children should begin to develop hobbies; one way to do this is to have your child be your assistant for some of the day. 2. consider substitute activities - reading, gardening, walking, crafting, etc., What do you do with your time? When I gardened, my son helped me. If you knit, crochet, or craft, let your child begin to be involved; there are simple crafts your child can begin to do - make birthday gifts for friends - Who's birthday is coming up? Plan ahead and have projects for them to do. 3. I would set strong guidelines for how many hours children can watch tv, and work with them to select specific programs they will watch; when the programs are over, the tv is off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dreamalong

Answer by dreamalong at 1:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son is 6. Normally he watches maybe 2 hours of tv a week. (DH has the tv on even while he is working!) This week mornings he has soccer camp. Most days he does 2 hours or so of academics. He likes math so that's a treat & he needs to practice writing so he doesn't freeze up when he's asked to do it at school. He also does 30 min of typing. We use a curriculum book we got at the teacher store & supplement a lot with library materials. I've borrowed a bunch of books & he chooses what he wants to read. He likes reading & probably does it for 2 hours a day. He plays with his Legos. There's a game website he got at school that he likes, maybe an hour a day. We might play a board game. If you want a kid who is doing something, you have to put in a lot of effort & deal with a lot of whining when things get hard. His chores are putting away his laundry & bringing in the trash & recycling cans.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011