Breastfed baby spitting up after every feeding! Help!!

So my daughter is 4 weeks old today and I am only breastfeeding. Well for the past 2 weeks just about everytime I feed her she spits up and it seems like alot. She also gets really bad gas and gets hiccups all the time, poor thing cant catch a break Im planning on taking her to the doctor because Im worried about her weight gain. But I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

C.Parrish

Asked by C.Parrish at 10:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2nd and 4th were both breastfed spitters. My 2nd they put on zantac because he was gaining less weight and that calmed it down a lot. My 4th we just waited it out, he stopped spitting so much after he started solids and it went away completely by 9-10 months. But we went through A LOT of laundry during the time!

Answer by missanc at 10:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sounds like reflux, my daughter had that. Meds work well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My daughter was like that. I think it's just something they have to outgrow. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It could be an oversupply issue, or a forceful letdown. Try feeding the baby in a position so that she is nursing down on the boob. For example, lean way back in a chair. Also allow the baby to take frequent breaks and be sure to burp.
    What looks like a lot of puke, is most likely very little. Take 1/2 ounce of milk and throw it on yourself or on the counter. It will look like a lot.
    It is pretty common.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree that it sounds like over- or forceful letdown. Try pumping an ounce or two, or hand-expressing, before nursing her.
    Anonymous

• Whatever you do, don't stop feeding her. My milk dried up after two days of this. My Ds was projecting spitup for 2 days. I ran out of milk, and could never produce for him again.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I breast fed so long ago and didn't have any problems so I'm not going to give any advidse, but it could be reflux. I'll bump you instead.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thank you all, I need all the advice I can get :)
    C.Parrish

Comment by C.Parrish (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It may be a fore milk/hind milk imbalance. Try to make sure she "drains" all of one breast before starting her on the other. The milk that initially comes out is much different than the milk at the end. The fore milk is mostly vitamins- have you ever taken a vitamin on an empty stomach? It will usually make you throw up. The hind milk is all fatty calories that help protect the stomach and give the baby calories to grow and gain weight.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thanks you so much for the great info! Helps alot!! :)
    C.Parrish

Comment by C.Parrish (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011