My 19 month old daughter has not pooped in 4-5 days even after seeing the pediatrician &fiber intake, less dairy, karo syrup, prunes,warm baths,mirolax & a pedialax suppository this a.m. didnt work. She pushes & strains & only wet diaharrea comes out & I know she has hard stool in there that the dr. felt at visit 2 days ago. I am desperate but doctors arent concerned unless she is vomitting. How long is too long wo going? Am I over-reacting :-(

mrb125

Asked by mrb125 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say that it's a cause for concern. has she just started this. I would say you know best Mama. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• apple juice always makes my son poo. i can hardly give it to him cuz it makes his poo really xtra soft, yuck. good luck, mayb go to the e.r.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Vomiting is the last stage and where I would make an ER trip. As for today, I would give the doc a call back.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• oh,and yes, apple juice works at our house as well. Mirolax works, but it takes a few days.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• hI everyone, thanks for the advice. She is drinking plenty of apple and prune juices and water. But not helping. I hate to see her suffer as any good mom would and I think that if she doesnt go today I will take her to the E.R. just to make sure she is ok and maybe they can do something more to make her go poopie. I called the doc again and they are not concerned unless she is vomitting but they are not up with her at night as she cries in discomfort and I cant do a darn thing to help. So frustrating....she is not my happy baby these past few days :-(
    mrb125

Comment by mrb125 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son has had troubles with constipation as well...
    If her prune juice doesn't have pulp then I would make sure it does the other kind of prune juice really doesn't do much. Also you mentioned she drinks apple juice... make sure it's the cloudy kind, like you get from an orchard... again, anything else really doesn't work.
    I would cut out anything constipating right now... so NO dairy, and very limited breads, pastas, bananas, applesauce, carrots, rice (all constipating)
    We have my son on Flax seed oil - 1 tablespoon daily to keep things lubricated (which might be what she needs at this point) they make yummy flavors, his is strawberry banana
    Oatmeal is really good too... give her a bowl of that everyday
    You might need to do some rectal stimulation... lube up your finger and gently insert it into her rectum until she tries to push it out (careful it might get VERY messy)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• She IS passing stool...so I wouldn't be OVERLY concerned...is the dr sure he felt hard stool? It won't hurt to get a referral and see a gastroenterologist. They're better trained to deal with the digestive system.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Sounds like maybe a bowel obstruction to me, I would take her to ER
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 12:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2011