Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My friend is on drugs and can not take care of her 13 month child. I am willing to take the baby in however do not want her to then be ripped out of a good enviroment. Second to this, is the fact that I do not have alot of money myself and may need to look into resources to help me financially. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by babybellahelp at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Adoption

Level 4 (29 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • The goal of the system is to rehabilitate bioparents so that baby could be with them. If you take the baby, there is a good chance she will go back to mom at one point.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Call CPS in your area & ask what your options are. Look into being a foster parent. Be prepared that if you actually try to do the best for this child, your friend will get mad at you for calling her on her bad parenting.

    Answer by Verrine at 11:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Okay, wHen taking someone else's child, you need to accept that the child could go back with the parents. Ultimately CPS and the courts attempt to use the separation as a time for mom to clean up. It happens in foster care all the time.

    If this person is your friend why wouldn't you want to give her that chance?

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • ah you need to talk to your friend first and foremost! in what way is she neglecting this child? is there a reason maybe that she is using drugs to numb or to hide? you need to get her, as straight as possible and tell her straight. tell her what she is doing, and how it is affecting her child. try not to get over emotional, and dont be intentionally hurtful, the truth will do that enough im sure. give her a bit of time to process and tell her u want to help her to kick the shit. taking her baby will not fix the problem, which upon what youve said lies in her,all it will do is mess her up more, give her an excuse to use and ammo against u. heling her even when things get rough she'll respect you more when she sees... and if persistance with that doesnt work then ring cps.

    Answer by 06Lilraysmom at 2:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

  • We were in foster care for years and ultimately adopted five of them. They do offer financial support, but too many are in it for financial reasons. For the kid's sake, motives need to be genuinely to reach out.

    Calling CPS is the most loving and caring thing you can do both for your friend and the child being neglected/abused. It should be done anonymously, so she'd never know it was you. It very well could be the wake up call that brings her to reality. If not, you can let CPS know you want to foster this child. Keep in mind that if she cleans up that child will return to her care. If you care about her this could be a good thing.

    Answer by workin_at_home at 10:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.