How to deal with....?

the parents of 2 kids I babysit? I am trying to supplement income by keeping kids. However I have only found a set of 4y/o twins to keep. I worked with their mom for several years and dont have a problem with her. Her husband (who is usually the one dropping them off on his way to work, mom works 3rd shift) is anywhere from 30 minutes -1hr late everyday i watch them which almost throws my kids schedule off. They are paying me more than what i asked plus providing meals, snacks, and drinks. The kids are not the most mannered kids....well the boy isnt. I have no obligation to these people but i feel like I need to be there for the twins since it is obvious mama and daddy dont teach them any manners. Could really use the extra money but it is sporadic (any where from 40-200/2wks). Is it worth it to continue the frustration for the $?

tiffany0507

Asked by tiffany0507 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly when you take on the responsibly of watching ANOTHER people's kids there are going to ALWAYS be issues. Also no matter how good the kids are having them there is going to through a monkey wrench into your routines and your children's routines. If you can't deal with these things then you shouldn't be caring for other people's children.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• One thing you should have done at first if you are going to run a business is arranged a set schedule. People assume they are doing you a favor as much as you are doing them a favor in these kinds of situations.

I would talk with your friend and let her know that you plan on doing this more as a "business" and that you are looking to take on another client and that you need to make a schedule. This way you are not attacking her. With a set schedule in place you might be able to take on another.

You may want to check in to the rules governing home daycares in your area too, just to be on the safe side. You will also be able to take of part of your mortgage and utilities from your taxes by running a home business.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 11:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree with pp. Ask the parents to help you set a schedule and even tack on a charge of $1/minute when they're late. At least at $60/hour you can more easily tolerate a little more time. Be prepared for resistance from the folks on this but like pp said, explain you want to take on another client or two and need a set business schedule.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Talk to the friend...tell her you need a set amount per/hour for keeping the kids that way if you keep them for 50hrs/week for one week your money shows that. As far as the hours you keep the kids there may not be much you can do bc of the parents work schedules...as far as kids acting up enforce time-outs and any other punishments the kids parents are ok with you using. Let them know how the kids were honestly, just like a daycare or school would. These are things the parents should know so the kids are behaved once they get in school. Just to everything you can nicely since it is a friend...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 11:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011