Preschool

is preschool the new kindergarten?

I am getting ready to enroll my 4 yr old into preschool. It took a little convincing to get my husband to agree but when it came down to it...preschool is perfect for us. Our area has a great school, but kindergartners now take spelling tests!!! I mean what happened to paste eating, nap taking, recess playing kindergarten!

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 11:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep, the nap taking and recess playing is preschool (although you'll be hard pressed to find paste anymore). Our pre-kinders even have site words and are learning the basics of reading.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There are preschools out there that do not focus so much on academics. Learning is fun and hands-on and social/life skills are just as important. You just need to find them. Academics are fine if a child is ready. If not, you can do more damage than good. Find one that suits your child best!
    LEK19

Answer by LEK19 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Education has gotten crazy lately. Just know that it's NOT the teacher's fault. :) The curriculum, testing, how schools recieve funding, and so on are issues out of the control of educators. You can thank state politics for developmentally inappropriate standards handed to elementary school teachers. Pre-Kindergarten teachers know how much is expected in Kindergarten and want to prepare them. Pre-Kindergarten is such a great start! It's alot more laid back than Kindergarten, but will still facilitate your child's needs to help them reach their highest potential. There's more to pre-k than crayons and glue. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much your child will benefit from pre-k. Sounds like your child will recieve the foundation they'll need to help ensure a successful educational career. Best of luck!
    Ash09855

Answer by Ash09855 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yep--you're right. Kindergarten is not what you remember it being. Our Kindergarten classes are full day with state tests and standards that must be met. I really feel bad for the little ones that don't attend an academic based preschool.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 11:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Pre-K is pretty standard here in our public school system, so, yes, it has replaced Kindie as the intro to school. Which, in turn, is resulting in preschool (for 3-year-olds) becoming much more popular as people try to prepare their kids for the pre-K experience.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I love how DD is excited about 'going to school' and pre-k is such an amazing option. I don't blame the teachers (though some really are ruthless...least in my own experience) and I know I will be amazed once she starts learning all the new things, and makes friends that she can actually hang out with. This particular program focuses on education but also a lot of free play and teaching them how to figure things out by experience rather than a book telling you.
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It will be a wonderful experience, LadyOsgood! I do hear you, though, on what happened to Kindergarten. I like to think I turned out just fine without all this early childhood education stuff. But, the powers that be have decided Pre-K is essential, at least in our neck of the woods and, yes, Kindergarteners now read, write, and take tests.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Preschool is preschool here - spelling tests don't start til halfway through 1st grade in our school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It actually depends on your school district. Like anon, there is no spelling test in kindergarten for our school. The first time that concept showed up was about 3/4s of the way through the school year and it was primarily 2 to 3 letter sight words. Kindergarten in our area is still half-day and focused on basic skills or pre-literacy and early math. Reading is a 1st grade core component. The preschool my kids attended believed in hands-on, experience based learning. They learned quite a bit but all of it was done in a fun, creative, interactive way. I'm not a fan of the work-sheet driven, academically "rigorous" preschool. I don't think any 3 or 4 year old needs that regime.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Your observations are correct. Kindergarten is now what first grade used to be. so, yes, preschool is now kindergarten.
    dreamalong

Answer by dreamalong at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2011