Overachieving 15MO YIKES!!!

So I probably woudnt call it over achieving... But my son, went into a pool for the first time last Friday- and he LOVED it! Well I made the mistake of taking him out of his little toddler boat and setting him in the water with me.. He wanted nothing to do with me, just the water, and that wasnt going to happen since we were in a 4 ft. pool!! So my question is, how early is too early to start teaching them how to swim?

kgrine

Asked by kgrine at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think 15mths is a good time to start. Especially if he adapted to the water so well.
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He's ready!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They say the younger the better, they have "infant swim training" classes, I saw them on TV.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 11:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you can, go ahead and start him now. My son was like that last year - he LOVED the water and would actually instinctively paddle his arms and legs to get around (I needed to help keep him afloat), but this year he seems to have forgotten how to use his arms and legs to get around... we're working back up to it.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thanks ladies I think. I'm going to start now then. So do you reccomend starting with using a life jacket. Or without?
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• With my little one we used a Stearns Puddle Jumper we got from WalMart, but in the boating section, not the regular swim section (because it's a certified life jacket). We bought tons of different floaties and they were all too restricting for him. This holds him afloat, but still gives him free range of motion and lets him learn to kick his legs and move his arms to get where he wants to go in the pool.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm going to have to look into one of those for my son. We had a floaty for him that he could sit in and just do his own thing but it has a couple holes in it. He owns a life jacket but it's not all that great. If I let him go, he floats but his face is in the water!!
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Littles- Did you try the bathing suit with the foam floaty in the shirt part? Thats what we go and DS hates it! So its off to a sterns puddle for me too lol.
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• No, I haven't tried that. I'll have to look into that also.
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I wouldnt try it! But my DS bounced like a bouie- or was face in the water... not a good idea. but the life vest would be a better idea! Good Luck
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2011