Flies attacking my dog's ears!!

My Rottweiler is kept outdoors and the flies are literally attacking her ears! She has a open wound on one of them now. Ive been bringing her inside during the day when the flies seem to be the worst but as soon as I take her out to go to the bathroom or to put her on the chain for the night they are swarming all around her. I dont know what to do it seems like Ive tried everything to keep them away from her. They are only targeting her ears. It is also very clean in her area outside, there is no trash and things that would attract the flies. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do?

C.Parrish

Asked by C.Parrish at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Goodwinol ointment on the ears can help heal bites and prevent more.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thanks!! Where can I get it?
    C.Parrish

Comment by C.Parrish (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• FIRST I was incorret on the name:  It is VIP ointment (I was confusing it with something else!) you can get it at vets offices or order it online.. HERE is one place I know of.  It is not perscription or anything.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• U need to treat those poor dogs ears so u don't get charged with neglect. Why do u keep her outside all night?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thank you for your concern, and just so you know I take very good care of my pets. She is our guard dog for one and secondly she is not potty trained we are in the process of working with her. That is why she is kept outdoors........
    C.Parrish

Comment by C.Parrish (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• And thank you , I will check with my vet and see if she has it :)
    C.Parrish

Comment by C.Parrish (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Our Lab is outside 24/7, and gets the same problem once in a while. Our German shorthair did too. I'm not sure why they do it, bug DH greases/ed their ears and that kept the flies away. He uses/d a thick grease, not sure what it was, leaves black where he puts it, but they love/d it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My only advice is to let your dog live indoors like you do. As far as guarding, how much guarding can she do on a chain in the yard? As for potty training, how does chaining her in the yard teach her to potty outside?
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• another product "Flies off" it's as pink as pepto but it works really well, you may try looking for it on pet meds
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Marshmom, she is taking the best care of her pets that she can. She came here for help, not bashing
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011