What would you do if 1 of your family members kept threatening to call cps?

My mom has been threatening me with this ever since I had my son (oct 2009) She never calls (or maybe she does & they don't come) She is used to always ask me if I fed him or tells me stuff that is common sense like "don't leave him in the bath tub by himself" or "don't have him outside too long in the heat". When I tell her that i know this, she gets all defensive & says "well i didn't know you knew that". i breastfed him for almost 10 months & when he was born i was having the normal difficulties, she actually screamed in my face (while i'm layin in the hospital bed holdin my son) that i wasn't goin to feed him & i was goin to let him starve to death! she's freakin nuts, i've talked to my therapist about all this and all the other crazy incidents, but it's not really getting me anywhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would block her number and not let her come over until her "nuts" is under control. I wouldn't worry about her actually calling CPS if your son is healthy and doing well, even if they do stop by, they will see that is is unfounded.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would cut off all communication.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 11:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Write the number down on a piece of paper for her and ask her if she would like to borrow your phone. I swear that is what I would do. One of two things would happen. You would totally call her bluff OR she would call and the case would be dismissed letting her look like a fool.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You said it, she is freaking nuts!

Try not to see her often you do not need this!

Just because she is your mother she has no right to hurt you!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I too would cut all communication, you or your child dont need that in your life.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Cut her off. And as far as the CPS thing, it's her right to call, but it doesn't mean they will do anything. If she continues, I'm sure it'll be proven as unfounded.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Tell her to call! You have nothing to worry about. They will note her for the crazy person she is and that will be that. Sweetie be strong.

I know your pain. I have a mom that has always complained about my parenting. My kids are now 17, 14 & 8. I have been married for 20+ yrs and I am 40. I know what I am saying. I put up with it for way to long and it will not get better. Stand strong. If she can't be supportive then she can't be in your life. It took me too long to figure this out and it has been at the expense of my oldest. She manipulate that relationship for a long time. I knew better with the other two and my 17 yr old & I love each other but she still work the grandma card because of all the "Granada will take care of me" crap.

Good Luck
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 11:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i would distant myself. you could have said that she wasnt allowed in your room anymore when you were in the hospital, maybe the nurses could have did something. you seem to keep talking about your situations but never doing anything. You need to raise your son the way YOU want. get caller ID, pretend your not home, i dont care, but whenever its her, avoid her!

Be sure to have a clean home and your son is healthy, so when she does threaten CPS...just shrug it off like "go ahead" she will have to go bother someone else cause your not paying her any attention. It seems like she's missing out on something and living through you and your son to fill that void.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i have cut her out of alot. we dont go to her house for holidays for the whole day (just a couple hours) i felt like i couldnt do anything in the hospital or i didnt know what to do. i had a c section so i was all doped up on pain meds.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would put her out. I know she is your mom but you don't need the added stress of her nagging. I understand that she is trying to help you by telling you how to do things but the CPS threat is nothing to play with. All you need is someone to overhear her saying that you did something that warrants an investigation and if that other person acts on it you will be faced with a charge. Once you are charged its is up to you to prove that your not guilty but they probably will take your kids before that can happen.
    Talliana

Answer by Talliana at 11:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2011