If you were writing a letter to your child/children for them to read when they got older what would it say?

I have been trying to write a letter to my daughter so when she gets older she can have something from me to remember me by forever, but everytime I go to write it I erase everything and start again... its harder than I thought it was going to be! Its pretty fun!

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 6:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Why would you want it to come from US? It needs to be something YOU thought of from your heart.
    Anonymous

• I would tell my SS that no matter biology, I always have and always will love him as much as I could have ever loved anyone. He is my baby, regardless of all else. I would also tell him how he saved his dad's life. I would tell my daughter that she was a blessing. I was never supposed to have her, but I did! She was born against the odds and that she taught me so much in life.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• She is just curious, anon @ 4:43. She isn't going to write what we say. She is simply wondering what others would write. Is curiosity a crime?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Aww that's so sweet. Both of my parents did that for me when I was a baby, and I still treasure those letters from them.

I think one thing you could do is is describe in detail exactly how she appears to you at this point in time. Like how tall she is, what color her hair is and how it's styled, stuff like that. If she has any birthmarks or freckles that you think are cute, describe them to her. Give her a view of who she is from your eyes. Most kids underestimate the amount of love their parents have for them, especially when they're little. That's one reason I love going back and reading my parents' letters. Even though I thought they were evil sometimes, I know from reading the letters that I could never have done anything bad enough to make them hate me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Oh, and another idea might be to put current events and current "popular" styles and stuff in the letter. Yanno, who's the president and how much a gallon of gas costs. I don't know about other people, but I think "dated" letters and newspapers are SO cool.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• this is a great idea I would tell her what her favorite show is and food and her sleep habits ...cute sayings...I cant think but Im sure yours will be great ...lol

sunkist78

Answer by sunkist78 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I wrote one to my son when I was pregnant with him. Because I was going to give him up for adoption and I wanted him toknow it wasnt his fault and how sorry I was that I couldnt keep him. I still have the letter but I never gave him up I couldnt do it.
    But in the letter it told him how much he meant to me already and how much I loved him even though he wasnt here yet. I am SO glad I didnt give him up. But I keep the letter as a reminder of it. My SO doesnt even know about it or that I still have it. I dont know if anyone ever will.

Sorry Not really answering your Q i would go with what Caitxrawks said and put current events in it. How much things are at this time. Maybe add a couple News Paper clippings to it when your done.
    Anonymous

• I wrote a letter something like that but for my son's 16th birthday. It was more of a 'when you were little...to....now that your nearly a man' letter. And it WAS harder to write than I thought it would be. It was a very emotional experience. I found that I had so much to say and that it was getting all jumbled up in letter form so I typed everything that came to mind and saved it to a file so I could go back when I thought I was done and move things around. It was a very touching letter for me and even more so for my son. He said it's something he'll both keep and remember forever. GL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I want to do this for my children so if I go when they are young I want them to know me and what I want for them in life. My mother-in-law died when my husband was 19 and I wish she would have left him a letter I think it would have been great for him, our children and also me. Just write from your heart. Tell your children what you would tell them if you are not around to give them advice ie: about boys/girls, sex, having children, school, college, marriage, and life.
    mommyflynn5

Answer by mommyflynn5 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I will love you forever and ever, I will drop everything and come running whenever you need me, and please tell me everything and know that no matter what I will love you.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 7:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2008