Trading military hostages for aging population?

Who exactly is holding a gun to who's head (Obama used this term, so I feel the rhetoric must be low since it's okay for him to use it)?

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.

Do you think there is any way for the two sides to come to agreement about anything?  I'm really doubting it at this point.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Scare tactic.The republicans should not cave we shall see.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's interesting to see who gets money in this country and who does not. I'm betting tons of other assistance monies will still be flowing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You know Miinn that is HYSTERICAL. I LOVE how you and other libs and OBAMA say if the rebus would just do what WE want them to we will be fine. Well....DEMS could JUST do what REPUBS want and it will ALL be fine TOO :) WTH is the difference. Compromise to Obama and his ilk is doing what THEY want.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The republicans should NOT cave...every caver will be on my "do no vote for list." I say call his bluff. There are plenty of things that can be cut without profound effects. Obama is an ass for playing on the fears of the elderly.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My DH receives a disabled/veteran paycheck ~ and I say the republicans should not cave. For Obama to threaten seniors (who were forced to pay into SS) or veterans (who defended this country and have already gotten the shaft over and over from congress) shows his true colors. They aren't black. They aren't white. They are yellow and scum green. On top of mentioning color, I'll mention again that he sure isn't adding welfare to that list (you know, the people who don't work/pay into the system and who aren't out there getting shot at or blown up).

Obama and the dems want to keep spending OUR money on crap. They see SS and tax money meant for the military as a nice addition to their pocket money rather than the obligation it is. Finding a way around paying it has become a priority for them ... there are lots of bums wanting welfare who vote, and so much pork to blow it on. Gotta love those priorities. Not.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• How about this. From the president down take a pay cut and cannot use all the perks like flying anywhere they want on a whim. That would pay the SS bill for the month. And quit taking money out of funds set aside for SS. (and no I do not get SS)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• McConnell's job isn't 'working for the president'. His job is to work for the people who voted for him. See the difference?

The president has responibilities that are far greater than his bucket list, or even his wish list. His first responsibility is to this country, NOT to his personal agenda. He is ignoring both his responsibilities and reality at this point. Personally, I would like his examined by one of those 'shrink' type people since the disconnect is growing and he seems incapable of grasping reality.

The US is broke. There IS no more money for him, the democrats, or congress to spend. They need to pay the bills and fulfill their obligations, and they may only blow money that is left over. This isn't rocket science, but even basic math seems beyond the abilities of most democrats at this point.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He is using the phrase so the older population will get on their representatives/senators to make the changes necessary to pass it. It is a scare tactic that works because it chooses a target (people who currently are getting these benefits to survive) who are willing to go to the appropriate people to have their voices heard.
    Talliana

Answer by Talliana at 11:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• FL- the US has been broke for a good long time...NOW all of sudden the Dems can not do math-LOL.

IMO, the politicians do not care (neither R nor D)- they have their pile and it's protected. They have their jobs and HC for life and since they and their cronies are in control those items are secure. The division is not between R and D....it's between them ALL OF THEM and us-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sister, I do agree with you. From what I've seen, NONE of them can do basic math, and ALL of them want to cut the wrong things rather than give up their spending spree. I understand the fraud and waste issues with military spending and other things on the table. As far as medicare goes, I'd settle for just stripping the license and a 10 year jail sentence for EVERY doc, nurse, and medical company caught involved in fraud.

But, to get on national tv and threaten to NOT pay seniors or veterans and not say a word about PA is going too far. Obama knows if he said that there would be riots and looting ... but at this point we appear to have a pres. who is too stupid to be left out alone or without a leash. It's one thing for our SC justices to be covered for when they get too old/too stupid to function, but it is NOT ok to allow a pres. to get this far out of line. The man needs a shrink or a boot to the head ... maybe both ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011