Is This Weird?

Ok, so my stepfather's ex-wife is getting remarried in a month and she has asked me to be one of four bridesmaids and my three year old to be one of two flower girls. She's always been nice to me and I know she doesn't have a lot of other family members she is close enough to to be her bridesmaid. In addition to me would be her daughter as maid of honor, her sister and her cousin and her youngest granddaughter (5) as her other flower girl. Her mother thinks that it's kind of weird and that I'm not really family and Patty shouldn't have asked me.

Patty has always been nice to me and since she only saw her kids every other weekend, she tried to be part of the family. She used to take me places with her kids all the time and even bought me a Six Flags pass a couple of years when she bought her kids one. She did special things with her kids all the time and invited me along sometimes. She doesn't have a lot of other family to be her bridesmaids so I don't see the problem but her mother is pitching a fit. She never thought she should be so nice to me and my sister, but said that my mother was good to her kids so she could be good to hers.

Do you think its weird?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think it's weird. And no one says that you have to be related to be in the wedding party. After all, how many brides have asked their best friends instead of sisters to stand up with them?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not at all.. I think its great to see a family that can function even with steps and exs and all that jazz
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You were part of her life and she was a part of yours, so if she wants you there then she should have you there. Just because you're not a blood relative, does not mean you are not still family.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 11:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not as weird as the fact that my grandfather's 3rd and current wife is best friends with his 2nd wife, even though she was the mistress. But I don't thnk it's weird. She is more of a family friend than anything. People have family friend's in their wedding party all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Nope, I don't think it is weird. Then again, I think family comes to you in all different ways, not just blood.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I doesn't sound weird...it sounds like you ARE her family:)
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 1:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No. I think it is lovely that you are close! :) You wanna hear weird, you should see some of the things that go on in my extended family.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Weird
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• She's the bride and it is up to her to choose who her bridesmaids are. I think it's her mom who is being weird and selfish.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think it shows that she was an outstanding stepmother and it's wonderful you and she are still close. My dh had a stepfather his mom divorced when he was little. He'll be 40 this year and they still talk! Y'all follow your hearts, don't listen to the negative people!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2011