Sending the kids to mom for the weekend...

I am so glad I live close enough that I can do this every once in awhile. We do it maybe once a quarter. My dd goes and visits my mom for the weekend. This weekend is the weekend. A friend of mine made a comment about how she wished she could "pawn her kids off" on her parents sometimes. I don't see it as "pawning them off".

What do you think?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think every now and then is fine and if they and your mom enjoy it, that is what matters. I'd love to be able to do that but my parents live in another state and right now it's just not possible. I also think that people say snippy things like that because they are jealous.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sometimes I do, it depends on the circumstances.
    I wish I had someone I trusted enough to take my kids but I don't. Not my mom or MIL....
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• if it is on occassion, it is a g-parents visit, if it is more often like every weekend, then pawning them off. lol
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 11:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think it's great for everyone - your mother, your kids and you! Have fun!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You are not pawning them off! That is what she would!

I wish my Grandkids lived near us, I would love to have them over every weekend.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• She goes about one weekend every few months. Usually she requests it. We have to work it around all of our schedules. We live about two hours away. My mom also comes down from time to time and takes DD out for special grandma time.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Some of my fondest childhood memories are of weekends spent with my grandparents. It makes for very close family ties and is a wonderful thing. Not pawning them off at all. Now, if you sent her every weekend, my answer might be different. :)
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My mom used to pawn me off on my grandparents, meaning I was there every Friday night so she could go out; and sometimes Saturday as well. If my grandparents couldn't take me on Sat. night there was a sitter. The result was good for me, I had a huge strong bond with my grandparents. Unfortunately, mom resented it.

I think special grandparent time can be a beautiful gift. I wish my kids had it, but our moms just won't unless it is an emergency. Enjoy it and don't let your friend's jealousy put a damper on it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's a wonderful bonding time for your Mom and kids. I wish I still had my parents, they would have our boys a couple weekends a month. When they were alive they would call and ask if they could have our oldest for a weekend, it was so sweet. They also kept him for 2 weeks while we were on a trip, and it was hard on me, but I'm so glad now they did since they're both deceased now..... Don't let what others think bother you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've never asked my parents to take the girls except when I was in the hospital giving birth, but when they ask to have them, I let them go. I agree that it is good for your mom and your child..."pawning off" is when you are ditching your kids to be rid of them so you can do whatever you want...not a weekend every few months.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011