Is it better two than one?

ok i have this crazy 10 months cat (male) and he lives in an flat. i've seen that he seems a bit bored lately while he's about to become the first sleeping beauty male cat. i'm thinking of getting another cat so his life becomes more interesting and happier. do you think this is the best for him? what are the pros and cons of having a second cat in a flat?

yianna671

Asked by yianna671 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pets

• I had 2 cats, but they were brothers. They were so close. It was adorable how they played together, then fell asleep all cuddled up. They were best friends. I don't know if it's the same if they aren't brothers and together since birth. It probably is a good idea. I miss my boys!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They don't have to be from the same litter. I have cats and they all get along great! I would get another if I were u!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I always will think 2 is better than 1.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Oops. I hit send too fast. I had 1 and he felt bored or more feisty/ particular in his needs or wants. then we got 2, who were sisters, died at 1 year from Luekemia but from then on, we got another 2 who were brother and sister - they are 10 years old, recently we added a kitten which both have adjusted ....ok to lol!~3 is TOO many for me but we are making it work
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• cats tend to do better with a companion. it gives them someone to paly with and someone to cuddle with. i would get another if i were you but be sure they get along. just like humans not every cat gets along with every other cat! pros- youll have more to love, your cat will be happier and have a play mate, you will have some entertainment watching them. cons- more poop to clean, food to buy, and they may drive you crazy if your trying to rest and they want to play.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think it's best to have more than one, actually. They entertain each other, and they play together in a way you cannot play.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I absolutely believe it's better to have two than one.... And two in a flat really isn't that bad. But this way, they have a companion when you're out of the house for work, etc. We have 6 cats (I know, too many, but still), and they all get along great. I definitely feel any of them would be lonely if they were by themselves.

Same goes for dogs.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree. We have two cats (Merlin and Gandolph) and whenever we have only had one cat, they get lonely and naughty. They will want your attention and be extremely needy whenever you are home. Now, I LOVE cats and am totally in love with my two male cats - but I don't have hours upon hours every single day to dote on them and carry them around with me while doing housework, etc.
    We have two male cats from different litters. One is two years old (Merlin), one is the new baby (Gandolph) - he is 12 weeks. The older one was so happy and accepting of the new kitty. Its as if it gives him something to do - he has to WATCH that kitty and make sure he behaves! They play together and the older cat knows just how gentle to be with the kitten. The kitten absolutely adores Merlin.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't have cats, but I did take 2 Mini Dach's puppies that no one wanted so they would have each other. It works so great! They have each other ALL the time and always have each others' company, for playing or just for laying around together. If I had cats...i would think 2 is better also. JMO.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Two is always better than one. They get to have a companion as well. We always had two cats, two dogs (now we have 5 dogs) and they are happier, healthier, and fun to watch as they play together :)
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2011