Will a man have to pay back child support when they get out of prison?

My step-son is doing a 30 yr. prison sentence, his mom is trying to get it reduced to 10 yrs. but my step-son was paying childsupport when he got arrested & put in jail. He was paying child support to his ex wife for 3 kids & he was paying some child support to his mom too because she has custody of his 4 yr. old son from another woman. My question is when he gets out of prison, will he have to pay back child support or will they just drop it? Does anybody know how they deal with child support & men in prison that is supposed to be paying child support? I could be wrong, but it seems to me like they would make the men make up for the child support when they get out of prison, & not let them get off paying child support just because they are in jail. Does anybody know anything about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• chances are he will have to pay unless it has been stopped by the lawyer or judge before hand
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If he were smart, he would go to court to at least have it reduced. But yes, they do have child support rack up while in jail, though normally they make it much lower.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He can get a job in prison and pay. But when he gets out he will have to start paying.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Child support NEVER goes away until it is either paid OR the mother in some states has the option to drop it if the children are grown and it hasn't been paid.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've seen this before. It's typical to serve them support papers in jail, but they almost never go after them. Obviously, no one will be getting anything from him for a long time. He can just prove he was incarcerated and they adjust it to a very small number.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He should petition court to have chiild support suspended while he is in prision. But, it's not guranteed. It will continue to add up with interest until he gets out and he will have to pay the rest of his life. If he is smart, he should try and get the cases transfered so that when he gets out he pays the support directly to the kids, seeing they will be adults.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They have to pay it. Its gonna stay like that forever
    LARRYSWiiFE

Answer by LARRYSWiiFE at 12:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They have jobs in prison...my father made 30 dollars a month in prison and he paid my mom 10 a month for child support
    Kisha_1128

Answer by Kisha_1128 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I learn something new on here everyday that I didn't know before. I have wondered what happens with child sup when men/women go to jail who were paying.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have a friend who has 2 kids, their dad is doing 30 yrs and she says when he gets out he will owe $30,000 to the kids
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011