Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parents do you have this problem?

my sd lives with us full time and i take her to all dr appointments. yesterday i called to make her a dentist appointment they said that her dad has to bring her to the appointment i cant. that would be ok but with his work schedule he cant. so what do i do she really needs to see the dentist and her dad cant take her. i haven't had any problems with any other dr visits.

Answer Question

Asked by esmith1984 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 14 (1,751 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • He needs to give you a note granting permission...I know that there is a technical name for it but it eludes me.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • See if you can get written approval from her father to bring her that you can bring in to them that it's okay for you to authorize certain things be done or whatever.

    I'm a SM too and they've never questioned me bringing my SK to doctors or anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Medical PoA will cover you. You can find one online to download for free.

    Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • does it have to be notarized or can we just wright it out?


    Comment by esmith1984 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • As long as he gives you written permission then you should be able to legally...

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • It will need to be notarized

    and thank you Ego...I couldn't think of the name.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • I take my ss to dentist appts with no problem. Maybe it's just the denist. Its just like a grandma taking me to dr when I was younger. Dont know legally why problem, if you arent making major decisions.

    Answer by meemee410 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • i used to before we were married..but after you are married they cant stop you from taking her..bc once you are married you are considered a guardian also..maybe you could just get your dh to call and explain that hes not available for the visits bc of his job..

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Time to get a new dentist. It's strange that it would matter these days considering all the different families out there & that there are caregivers who take kids to things. As long as they get paid why do they care? She lives with you full-time.

    Answer by Verrine at 1:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • my dh has never had this problem, and he's taken him to plenty of visits. he's considered a legal gaurdian. And besides, my son is on HIS insurance, so that would be a bit asinine if a doctor didn't allow him to bring.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.