Chiuhaua vs. yorkie

we have always had large dogs in our lives but im trying to convince DH that we need a small dog (we do not own any dog right now). If i can get him to say yes we would adopt a dog who is at least potty training it wouldnt be a puppy. We have 3 small children but all are used to being with small dogs and know how to treat them. I want a dog with long hair to brush and put bows in her hair (i do want a female i dont care for male dogs) and to carry with me when i leave the house so shes not alone. If i got a chiuahua it would be long haired so i can brush her and put a bow in her hair. Im having trouble choosing which one i would really want. any advice on either breed??? which do you feel is a better choice for a family of 5 that would enjoy being with us and going with me places?

aschwarz06

Asked by aschwarz06 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Well I'm not a fan of "purse dogs" But I do love the Yorki's they have personality. Can't stand Chiuhauas. So if you insist on a small dog, I would think a Yorki
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yorkies they're cuter and have the nicest personalities. Chiuhauas are super annoying imo.
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Can't stand Chis. Yorkies have great personalities. So do Maltese.

And my male dogs, altered, are the sweetest of our dogs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have a Yorkie, and although I love him to death he is a royal pain in the neck. They are arrogant and hard to train, I would go with your other choice, or better yet, go save one at the pound and save some money!

Answer by older at 11:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Do your research on each breed. And also on training, socialization. Always carrying a dog around can lead to behavior problems which is why most people in the dog training world hate purse dogs.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• True Salem, dogs are NOT accessories.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• thanks ladies i am deff leaning toward yorkie and have been, but my cousin has 2 chis and they are good dogs although they are the only ones i have ever liked lol. i like the fact that they are smaller and lighter but yorkies and so much prettier and are so full of personalities. i was never a fan of small dogs either but lately im thinking i absolutly love haveing a dog around it helps my depression but all my favorite breeds are huge and take al ot of space in our small house and require a lot more work (yes all dogs require work im not trying to get out of caring for an animal obviously, but you know what i mean). a dog that fits in my sink is easier (well should be lol) to bath than a dog i have to fight into my tub, a dog that walks a couple blocks is easier to walk than one who needs to go 2 miles, a 5 pound dog has less hair than a 90 pound dog (yes yorkies have long hair but thats ok), etc
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yorkie. Definitely.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• im not going to put it in a purse!!! that annoys me but a small dog is easier to throw in the car and take to families and such. since obviously the dog cant go tto the store since i will not leave it in a car.
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i have done research and both seem to be difficult to train if you dont let them know who is alpha both tend to get "small dog syndrome". i only work 2 days a week for a few hours so i am willing to put in the time and work with a dog
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011